Base Mac Pro "good enough"?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by draculr, Aug 5, 2014.

1. draculr macrumors member

I am looking at getting a Mac and am not liking the Macbook pro or iMac setups. I need something good enough to process D800e photos as well as use FCPX for 1080p (and potentially in future 4k) editing.

The thing is the base model mac pro is at the limit of my budget. It's good that the RAM and storage are upgradeable which I'll do over time as needed but I'm wondering if the 4 core + D300 setup is good enough? Is it a waste to spend all that much on a mac pro and only get the lowest model or should it still kick ass?

2. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

A lot of it is about expectations. What computer (specs) are you currently using for these tasks and what would be your expectations/needs compared to that?

It will handle the tasks you have indicated quite well, and will do so just about as well as any of the current iMacs or MBPs. Of course a higher-end nMP will be even faster, but there are plenty of professionals with similar usage who do just fine with a lot less.

There are some good arguments that the base model is not the best "value" of the Mac lineup, but that's not particularly relevant to your situation.

I got the base nMP (with the 500GB SSD) for similar reasons - I didn't want the iMac's built-in glossy screen, and I didn't want the limitations of a MBP for a full-time desktop workstation, and I couldn't justify the expense of a 6C nMP. The 4C nMP is not the best "value" IMHO, but it was the best fit for my needs given the choices, and I have no regrets.

Good luck!

p.s. I don't know if you looked at any of the current threads before posting, but here's an active thread on this topic.