Base Mac Pro or HP Desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by frocco, Sep 28, 2012.

1. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

2. avemestr macrumors regular

3. Bunyak macrumors member

My workplace bought an HP workstation to run Matlab. The specs far exceed what the Mac Pro has to offer. I get the impression that Apple isn't even trying to compete in this market segment.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Apple dominate the OS X workstation market ;)

5. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Does it have to be the Mac Pro? if you're going for a PC, remember that you're losing all the Mac user friendliness, and ever Mac advantage.

6. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Some web development and gaming? What about an iMac?

7. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

I sold my iMac hoping to buy the new Retina MBP.
    I decided not too because of the screen issues and cost.
    now I must buy a PC or spring for the older tech. Mac Pro.

8. winston1236 macrumors 68000

9. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

I am thinking that also, maybe add a mac mini down the road when they refresh.

10. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Pretty easy. Hardware aside. Do you want Windows or OS X? You now have your answer.

11. Umbongo, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

A Mac mini and PC desktop on a KVM switch is a better solution than a current Mac Pro in my opinion on tight budgets, but it requires a slightly different usage pattern. Or you could run OS X in VMware.

12. Slow Programmer macrumors regular

I have owned four HPs over the years. Keep in mind they are a disposable computer. The mother board will have very little expandability (my last HP only had two SATA connections on the motherboard). The power supply will be small. The case will be cheap sheet metal and plastic. They will cut any corners they can to keep the cost down. If you are used to Apple quality I suspect you will be disappointed in a few months. If it is important, the resell value in the future will be much less than an Apple if you can find anyone that wants it. For the money you could do much better putting together your on PC from standard components. It would be much higher quality.

13. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

Maybe he is looking into the Z-series workstations??

14. dmax35 macrumors 6502

My employer junked all pc's and switched over to Mac's and saved over $700.00 per unit in support costs yearly by making the switch. Our IT dept enjoys the Mac's cutting their workload dramatically down.

15. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

How much difference is the base Mac Pro compared to this HP I listed?
    Were talking about a 1000 more.

16. Slow Programmer macrumors regular

Apart from the future resale value of the Mac Pro, I think you would be much better off building your own Windows 7 system for what you are wanting. For the cost of the HP you are looking at you could put together a comparable machine with higher quality parts. Just my opinion, but I agree with many here that the currently available Mac Pro seems a little over priced.

----------

There is a link in the original post of the computer the OP is considering.

17. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Build your own if you can. Cheaper and you know what is actually in it. My sig has my two builds. Selling one to finance another build.

18. strausd macrumors 68030

Totally agree. If you need a PC desktop, it is always better to build it yourself rather than buying from a manufacturer. You will know all thats in it, will have more room for upgrading, and will either save money or will get better performance for the same price.

19. MacSignal macrumors regular

I am wanting a third option. No HP PC is worth $1300. After six months, I would question if any two used HP PC's are worth $1300. It might not be the worst possible choice, but only because there are so many other bad choices available.

If you are not inclined to build your own Windows computer, maybe consider something like Maingear.

But if the OP's two choices are my only options and I have the money for a MP, I'll take the MP without hesitation. Then I make do without USB 3 and Thunderbolt until I can upgrade again. At least I can expect to have a reliable machine with genuine customer support if I need it. And I think I can get my grand difference back when I sell the MP.

20. doherrick macrumors newbie

If you are not gaming, take a look at the Lenovo desktops. Particularly the M92, E31 (workstation). and S30 (Xeon Workstation)
    IMHO, much higher quality than HP and all 3 models include a 3 year, next business day, on-site warranty. For about $30-$50 you can upgrade the warranty to priority support out of Atlanta or Toronto.

The E31 is a particularly good desktop at a reasonable price.

The S30 workstation is their direct competitor for the MacPro, but for my needs, it doesn't offer any value over the E31.The S30 has all the latest Xeon chips and graphics card options.

I have been using IBM/Lenovo products for over 20 years without problems. USA/Canada support is excellent; India, not so good.

If you can wait at least till November, do so. All PC makers will be doing updates with Windows 8, so there will be extra good deals on units with Windows 7. Lenovo is constantly running "sales" and you can get good deals in their Outlet Store

If you want to run VMware, be sure to get W7 Pro / Ultimate. Home Premium won't work

I have been waiting and waiting (like many others) for the iMac / Mini refesh and looking at the MacPro but decided to go the PC desktop / Mini combo.

I need a PC for business stuff (plus multiple HDDs/ replaceable components. etc) and will buy an E31. I will use the Mini for digitizing analog music / photography/ Fun Stuff / Music-Video server.

The current MacPro is more than adequate for my needs but the E31/Mini combo is a much better value and more flexible

21. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The OP is comparing the Mac Pro to HP's Z-Series workstation, which is a far different beast than their cheap throw-away Pavilion PCs.

22. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

If you look at the link you will see he was comparing it to a Pavilion.

23. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I don't think you in the market for a workstation let alone a Mac Pro. A regular desktop should suit you fine.

24. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

One thing to point out for building your own. When you buy from HP or Dell or whoever, they add allot of crapware which most is useless. One of the reasons for most of the complaints on PC's. Build your own, buy Windows OEM that has zero crapware. You buy what you need. Have done this on my 2 builds and haven't had one issue. Just purchased a ASUS laptop (smokin hot deal I couldn't pass up) and talk about the BS installed besides windows 7. Not sure if you need a dual or single processor system but not hard building your own workstation. Unless you have a pile of cash, you can opt for a low speed processor, then upgrade to a faster one when they chips drop in price. Xeons don't drop as fast as regular processors do but for 24/7 work, they are great.

25. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Ah, silly me. :eek: