Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mg1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new base config (Quad core / 12GB / 256GB / D300) Mac Pro for $1,600. I know it's a bit dated and is expected to be replaced at some point. However I think it would be cool to have such a unique (and controversial) Mac. I currently have a base config (Quad core / 32GB / 1TB / 5770) 2010 (genuine) Mac Pro which I do not plan to replace. My workload is not heavy with the most taxing work being Handbrake or iMovie. This 2013 will outperform the 2010 in every aspect. The only negative to the 2013 is the smaller HD size and the lack of internal expansion but I'm fine with that as I'll be retaining the 2010 Mac Pro.

Keep in mind I'm not asking if I should or should not buy a 2013 Mac Pro (at all or versus something else)...I know all the pros and cons. I'm interested in people's opinions if $1,600 is worth the asking price for it.

So...what say the forum?

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new base config (Quad core / 12GB / 256GB / D300) Mac Pro for $1,600. I know it's a bit dated and is expected to be replaced at some point. However I think it would be cool to have such a unique (and controversial) Mac. I currently have a base config (Quad core / 32GB / 1TB / 5770) 2010 (genuine) Mac Pro which I do not plan to replace. My workload is not heavy with the most taxing work being Handbrake or iMovie. This 2013 will outperform the 2010 in every aspect. The only negative to the 2013 is the smaller HD size and the lack of internal expansion but I'm fine with that as I'll be retaining the 2010 Mac Pro.

Keep in mind I'm not asking if I should or should not buy a 2013 Mac Pro (at all or versus something else)...I know all the pros and cons. I'm interested in people's opinions if $1,600 is worth the asking price for it.

So...what say the forum?

I would say that is a decent price for a new one. Just a few months ago I was finding the 4 core version for around 2000. I would go for it if you want it. You can always upgrade that with a super blade as well..

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

So...what say the forum?

It's very personal, so, even though I think it's bad, may be that's a very very good deal to you.

Therefore, I try to make it in a more objective point of view, which base on pure numbers.

1) Back in 2013, the Quad core nMP costed $2999 and the Hex core's costed $3999, which means the base model worth ~75% of the Hex model.

And now. Apple don't sell the Quad core model anymore, but sell the Hex core's @ $2999. If we keep the same 75% ratio. Which means the Quad core worth ~$2250. In this point of view, $1600 seems very good. But since the even with this "price drop", I personally still consider its overprice. So, I prefer to estimate the "correct price" with the approach below.

2) If we assume a nMP depreciate 20% per year. Then...

2013 $3999
2014 $3000
2015 $2400
2016 $1920
2017 $1536

In this case, the Quad core base config nMP worth right at the $1600 range. I won't say it's cheap, but reasonable.

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
If you think of it as a very high-end Mac Mini rather than a Mac Pro, then it starts to look interesting.

Reactions: ssgbryan

mg1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
Thanks for the feedback so far. I understand it's over three years old and the technology, some will argue, is even older than that. I wouldn't be buying this for heavy lifting but more for the sake of having such a unique design. At 2,000 I was tempted to buy one but thought it was still too high for what it is. With a cost of $1,600 it's approached the point where I would be OK with purchasing it. I think I'd have already picked it up if I hadn't just purchased a 2016 MacBook over the weekend.

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
Mine is an unpopular opinion around here but if you look at tear down pictures of the trashcan, it's fairly modular. Problem is most of the components are proprietary. CPU, RAM, and PCIe drive can be upgraded without much effort.

The unique design has a certain value to it like you said. It's one of the very few Macs assembled in the USA. $1,600 is worth it.

power-mac-g4-cube-mac-pro-trashcan-1264x711.jpg

Reactions: orph

mg1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
Honestly, it sounds like you don't even need it. It seems more like something you'd just like to have around. In that case, it's a hugely personal decision.
You hit the nail right on the head. I don't need it, just want it. Maybe I'm reaching out to the forum to help me rationalize it!

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
You hit the nail right on the head. I don't need it, just want it. Maybe I'm reaching out to the forum to help me rationalize it!

There must be at least one person who keeps a mint condition Ford Pinto in a garage somewhere, out of a weird kink for its styling and technical specs. They wouldn't use it for transport, lacking a desire to be burned to death, but it's a real artefact of its time.

You could be that person for the 2013 Mac Pro ;)

(my weird "was it a good idea?" collection has a Macintosh Portable in its neoprene case, as well as an eMate 300)

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Ask yourself if it's worth it. They are a niche product. Always have been, and always will be. The post above that says it's a glorified Mac Mini is spot on. If you have $1600 to burn for a glorified Mini (and an outdated one) and consider yourself a hardcore Mac collector, then go for it.

For me, it's a non-start. It has a crummy GPU for gaming (no matter which model). Id have to get a new external storage enclosure. I'd have to get an adapter to connect my mini-display port Cinema display. That "$1600" quickly turns into 2k. Probably a great computer for my girlfriend who does a lot of Adobe. But for me, it won't meet my needs.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
If you dont care about GPU performance, the spec isn't too bad. Yes, the hardware in it is old, but in terms of desktop Xeon CPUs, intel moves pretty slowly, there's not a huge improvement between the Xeon in the Mac pro and the current line up really.

Reactions: zephonic

mg1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
Ask yourself if it's worth it. They are a niche product. Always have been, and always will be. The post above that says it's a glorified Mac Mini is spot on. If you have $1600 to burn for a glorified Mini (and an outdated one) and consider yourself a hardcore Mac collector, then go for it.

For me, it's a non-start. It has a crummy GPU for gaming (no matter which model). Id have to get a new external storage enclosure. I'd have to get an adapter to connect my mini-display port Cinema display. That "$1600" quickly turns into 2k. Probably a great computer for my girlfriend who does a lot of Adobe. But for me, it won't meet my needs.
I'm not a hardcore Mac collector but I do own a lot of Macs dating back to the iBook G3 (I'm referring to Macs I currently own and not one's that I have owned which date back to the LC II). I do think the design is unique and something worth consideration. I wouldn't be purchasing to put it on a shelf as part of a collection, it would definitely be put into service.

As for its performance it's definitely behind the times right now and many would argue was when first released. However it is faster than my current Mac Pro. The only negative to it wrt my current Mac Pro is smaller disk capacity and lack of internal expansion (I do have additional hard disks installed in my current Mac Pro). While it may be dated compared to the market it's not as dated compared to my existing Mac Pro.

This is definitely a "coolness" want and not a need. However I'm not going to go hog wild crazy and pay any price for it (or else I would have purchased it at the original price or the more current $2K pricing I see them selling for).

Decisions, decisions...
[doublepost=1504791285][/doublepost]
If you dont care about GPU performance, the spec isn't too bad. Yes, the hardware in it is old, but in terms of desktop Xeon CPUs, intel moves pretty slowly, there's not a huge improvement between the Xeon in the Mac pro and the current line up really.
GPU is not a major concern for me. In fact performance isn't that big of a concern for me. I don't do any regular heavy computing and when I do my current gear is sufficient.

Regarding the CPU advances...a good point up until AMD released Ryzen. Since the release of Ryzen Intel has significantly stepped up their game. I'd like to see Apple take advantage of this second wind from Intel in the mMP.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Regarding the CPU advances...a good point up until AMD released Ryzen. Since the release of Ryzen Intel has significantly stepped up their game. I'd like to see Apple take advantage of this second wind from Intel in the mMP.

Not really.

Since Ryzen came out, socket 2066 (X299 platform) has been pretty lackluster, and the new HEDT CPUs perform in some ways worse than the X99 versions.

RAID keys, big problems with VRM temperatures, ridiculous cooling requirements.... X299 has a heap of issues at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: green86

mg1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
Well the opportunity has passed as someone else picked it up. Not too disappointed as I thought it was a good buy but not something I needed to jump on immediately.

With this opportunity past I looked at the offerings on Ebay and all I can say is: Damn! People are asking ridiculous amounts of money for these things. Unless some other good deal comes along soon looks as if I'll be waiting for the mMP to drive the nMP prices down.

circuitt

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016
Used I wouldn't pay more than 1500 for a quad core 6,1.
Or 2000 for a 6 core.

Basically 500 less than refurbished prices from Apple.

Can get a referb 6 core for 2450 with 500 gb flash drive from Apple so I wouldn't pay a penny more private party.

mg1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
Used I wouldn't pay more than 1500 for a quad core 6,1.
Or 2000 for a 6 core.

Basically 500 less than refurbished prices from Apple.

Can get a referb 6 core for 2450 with 500 gb flash drive from Apple so I wouldn't pay a penny more private party.
I think that's what I find so odd about Ebay listings. They're selling used for not much less than what I can buy refurbished for directly from Apple. IMO most Ebay sellers don't appear to acknowledge Apple made some changes to the lineup earlier in the year. They seem to think a quad core is still available and selling for $2,999.00.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I think that's what I find so odd about Ebay listings. They're selling used for not much less than what I can buy refurbished for directly from Apple. IMO most Ebay sellers don't appear to acknowledge Apple made some changes to the lineup earlier in the year. They seem to think a quad core is still available and selling for $2,999.00.
Actually, they're pretty smart in that they might realize that Apple adjusted the specs, but they depend on buyers
who don't realize that.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I know two people who would rather buy used than buy refurbs due to some bad experiences. I try to tell them that it is VERY different with Apple factory refurbs, but it falls on deaf ears.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's a beautiful computer. Mine has been mostly unpowered for the last couple months. I think I should sell it. It's kind of slow these days compared to my other desktops. I only turn it on to run Compressor these days.

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
I'd like to see Apple take advantage of this second wind from Intel in the mMP.

This is one of those things that really grind my gears about hardcore apple customers. Why instead of continuing using intel, why no t demand a Ryzen or Threadripper CPU on your Mac?

To OP, as a Mac, perhaps to add to a collection, yes, is nice to have a nMP, but not at that price.

As a computer, a tool, you can do a lot more, hardware wise, with 1600 bucks. The only thing is, it means to make a hackintosh, instead of a case blessed by the deities at cupertino.

It involves extra work? yes, but I already see that kind of hacking efforts placed in cMP just to keep them up with the times, so might as well, do the same effort and make something like this:

Last edited:

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
This is one of those things that really grind my gears about hardcore apple customers. Why instead of continuing using intel, why no t demand a Ryzen or Threadripper CPU on your Mac?

To OP, as a Mac, perhaps to add to a collection, yes, is nice to have a nMP, but not at that price.

As a computer, a tool, you can do a lot more, hardware wise, with 1600 bucks. The only thing is, it means to make a hackintosh, instead of a case blessed by the deities at cupertino.

It involves extra work? yes, but I already see that kind of hacking efforts placed in cMP just to keep them up with the times, so might as well, do the same effort and make something like this:

I applaud the Hackintosh community...my first Mac experience since the early to late ‘80s was with a Sandy Bridge hack, but after futzing with kexts and other files I bought a MacBook Pro in 2012.

A $1600 Mac Pro in a few years will probably be worth $1000. A Ryzen Hackintosh will be worth whatever the value of the components are.

With some patience and good sourcing, that $1600 Mac, plus a 1 TB fast SSD, 12 core CPU and 64GB of ECC RAM will cost a total of around $3000 which is still competitive. CPU passmark is faster than the 1900X Threadripper.

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
my first Mac experience since the early to late ‘80s was with a Sandy Bridge hack, but after futzing with kexts and other files I bought a MacBook Pro in 2012.

Same here, now, I have a cMP (which is way more difficult to maintain than my old hack) a 15"MBP and a Air 11, but because they were free from my job. The honest truth, I'm very agnostic, OS wise and
I dont feel the need to worship OSX over anything, computer are just tools.

A $1600 Mac Pro in a few years will probably be worth $1000. A Ryzen Hackintosh will be worth whatever the value of the components are.

Hence why I said for a collection, but as a tool, sorry, neither the Mac hardware, nor OSX are worth that much and I need the performance now.

With some patience and good sourcing, that $1600 Mac, plus a 1 TB fast SSD, 12 core CPU and 64GB of ECC RAM will cost a total of around $3000 which is still competitive. CPU passmark is faster than the 1900X Threadripper.

Please stop following apple's brochure to the T.
On a TR system, you can have the same NVME drives that apple uses and more than one, 16 cores that are faster than the broadwell EP in a nMP, ECC is not really needed but if you really want them, all Ryzen and TR supports them.

But I see the allure to buy a system, use it and still get a decent chunk of money back when sold, which definitely doesnt happen with a pc.

And before the disciples come with the cross for me, do know that I started with apple products since the IIe, but I left the cult mentality a long time ago.

I see Macs, windows, linux, etc as tools that i need to do a job and hopefully, as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.