Base MacBook or ASUS EEE PC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by conshok26, Jan 20, 2008.

1. conshok26 macrumors 6502

conshok26

I have a iMac which is my main machine but I'd like to have a portable device. I'd mainly use it for internet and on the go entertainment. I've been using my iPhone when I want to go online but it's not something that I like to do long hours of browsing on. My birthday is next week and I should be getting some money for that and at the end of February I'll get my profit sharing from work. I would love to get a MacBook Air but too much $$$$$. I've heard good and bad things about the EEE PC but the price is really pulling me. Any suggestions? What should I do...$400 for the ASUS or $1000 for MacBook.

2. aosman macrumors 6502

I would say go MacBook. You can do more with it than the Asus, considering you are already running OSX. I know 600$ is a jump, but I think it is worth it.

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

buy a refurbished Macbook.
    You can get one for around $800-$950 from Apple.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

EEE sure is more portable, but obviously its not as powerful as MacBook.

so, exactly what do you plan to do with it?

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

6. conshok26 thread starter macrumors 6502

conshok26

I don't really plan on doing anything major with it. Just really internet, email....just really basic stuff. If I got the MacBook I'd probably do a little bit more with it. The things that are making me think twice about the EEE is Linux and people saying the screen res makes some sites difficult. What I really like about the EEE is that it's small and it's cheap. I'd like to get the 1TB Time Capsule which would be easier if I went with the ASUS. Any one here have one?

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i have one. which im using right now.

its fine for internet, email, skype video chat, pdf reader etc. but if you want to do extended surfing (2hours or more) of internet with it, you probably need an extra display just too make your eyes comfortable.

this is what you can expect from the default display
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

8. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

If price is your concern then there is always DELL.

9. Catch macrumors 6502

Go with the MB. Its a great machine, and it runs OSX which is the main reason to get Macs in the first place. If for some reason you tire of OSX you can go to windows as well. :)

C

10. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

i think it's cute! :)

12. conshok26 thread starter macrumors 6502

conshok26

I can't see doing more than 2 hrs. It would be about the same as I use my iPhone to surf. Are you using the preinstalled OS or are you using something else on it? Overall are you pretty happy with it? I just can't decide. Which model do you have?

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes, I use default system.

Overall, Im pretty happy with it.

decision.....IDK, you gonna make it yourself eventually.

You can buy it from bestbuy, I think you got 30 days return policy, so if it turns out not a good fit for you, you can always return it...

14. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Would the MB offer expandability over the EEE? If thats the case I would go for the MB.

15. conshok26 thread starter macrumors 6502

conshok26

Overall I think I'm really leaning towards the EEE. Like I said I really don't have any experience with Linux and that's the one thing that's keeping me from just going all out. I don't want to install Windows on it either. I really don't see myself installing programs or really trying to change anything on it. Is it pretty much fool proof? When I had Ubuntu running in Parallels there things that needed to be done in Terminal which I had no idea what I was doing. And I know one of the E s stands for easy to use.

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, its indeed very easy, i can assure you that.

www.eeeuser.com pretty much has all you need to know.