Base Macbook or Ibook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by teerexx52, May 10, 2007.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I need a second computer to take traveling for light word processing, internet, and email. Someone locally on Craiglist has the latest 12" ibook with two years of Applecare left for $900. I could also get a base macbook for $1049 ed discount + tax. I can't make up my mind and was looking for some input. Thanks everyone.

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

macbook. Its a lot more futureproof than the iBook. you can upgrade the ram, and the harddrive easily, and its intel, and inevitably i think companies will stop writing univesal, and start writing intel only based apps. The macbook is great for what you've said you want it for.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

MacBook! You can even get a refurb for $799, and then use your edu discount on AppleCare, which I think is $180.

4. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Would it be better to go for a Core 2 instead of Core Duo?

5. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

It depends on your needs. i have a core duo, and it does fine for browsing email music iphoto, and occasionally photoshop on the go. But the fans kick in if im on photoshop too long. If you can afford core2duo, why not, but a core duo would suffice if you were going to have a G4

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

For regular needs, you're not going to see a difference in the CD and C2D. If you're really hitting the CPU hard on a regular basis, though, you'll want the C2D. I went with a refurb Core Duo when I got mine, since I new I wouldn't really benefit from the C2D considering the increased price. I feel that more RAM is more important than the CD/C2D difference - so save your money to max that out.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also consider the likelihood that you'll be wanting 802.11n before you're done with the notebook. :) However, I'd personally say a CD Macbook is just fine, as long as the price is right (<$800).

8. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I just got my refurbished MacBook and I love it! It's the 2.0GHz C2D model and it's exactly what I need. Go for the MacBook, it will be worth every penny! Good luck!

9. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks! I was using a friends core duo and found it got rather hot on my lap. The core 2 aseems to run cooler but have to weigh that against $799. I see Apple has none at that price right now.

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I can't for the life of me understand why somebody would pay $900 for an iBook with a G4.

11. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I guess I tend to agree. Didn't buy it.

12. MacKitten macrumors newbie

Definately macbook... im using a black one with a 23 inch screen and totally love it to bits!
    they keyboard is awesome, it looks fantastic, and i may as well be running a desktop... im very very impressed. You can also run bootcamp on there too.

13. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

macbook all the way, just be patient if you can and wait for a refurb to come in the online store or you can call around and see if they have any at any authorized resellers...

14. lucasgladding macrumors 6502

That's one sweet machine. I've been thinking about a 17" MacBook Pro, but who can resist a 23" screen on a portable. ;)

Seriously though, I'm using a Core Duo MacBook (Base) and it's been great. Take the RAM up if you can afford it. I'm using it with 2GB with CS3 apps everyday and I rarely have to wait for it. If you plan to run Windows through Parallels, the extra is a necessity.

15. winchest macrumors regular

I have the CD 2.0 Macbook with 2 GB Ram and find it great for what you say you need it for. Shot in the dark, but would you be interested in a used one? I am looking to upgrade because it is not so good for video encoding.

16. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Sure. PM me with price and details