Base MacBook Pro retina 13" for Architect (AutoCAD)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by babooshka1982, Dec 8, 2014.

1. babooshka1982 macrumors newbie

I'm an architect and need a portable computer to go with my dell workstation for the week or so per month that I am out of my office. I have an asus laptop, which is on its last legs, so I've ordered a base model, mid 2014 retina MacBook Pro 13".

I will use this mainly for 2d AutoCad for mac (acquired a 2013 licence from a retiring ex colleague), occasionally sketchup, then Microsoft office (word/excel/outlook) or their iLife equivalent and very infrequently Photoshop and Microsoft publisher (or equivalent) I'll use it for browsing via. Firefox, with max 5 tabs open at a a time. I will also use it for doing a bit of recording via garage band, maybe some Netflix when out and about etc.

As I said, I've ordered the base model, however after further research I think I should maybe have specked it up a bit from the base. 8gb of RAM will suffice as autocad is my most demanding programme and recommends 4gb (3gb minimum), so I'm covered there. The 128gb blade ssd again should be fine (although I would consider upping this to 256gb) as I save data and back up to external drives via. USB 3, have a 250gb Samsung Evo 840 ssd in a caddy that I would leave hooked up to this machine the majority of the time for storing my files.

I am however thinking that I should go for the 2.8ghz processor as an £80 upgrade over the stock 2.6ghz, due a fairly steep increase in benchmarks. Is this worth the expense? The base model is £999, mid model (2.6ghz/256gb/8gb) is £1199 and the top spec (2.8ghz/512gb/8gb) is £1399.

I'd prefer not to go up to a base 15" as I don't want the extra bulk, unless someone can make a strong case for this machine being more suitable for my workload? I'm thinking I could just about get away with a MacBook Air, but by the time I add the 8gb RAM upgrade to the £849 13" model, the cost difference between the air and the pro is negligible!

Advice and opinions would be much appreciated. My MacBook Pro is due to arrive tomorrow, I've spoken to apple and they have said I have a fortnight to have a play and see if I want to return it or keep it.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Run it and see

Yopu have 14 days to return so just load it up and see how it goes, as far as I can tell autocad only runs on one core so a faster processor with more cache may well be useful too you but if it runs well and you are happy why not keep what you getand save some cash.