Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
724
204
Capri - Italy
Within this year I HAVE to replace my old i7 MacMini which has 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD, the only intensive tasks I perform are mid level photo retouch with both Adobe LightRoom Classic and Adobe PhotoShop, nothing really CPU intensive but I can tell that even exporting a photo from LR is taking too long compared to a few years back with the same software.

My concern is, since I will have to buy a BTO machine with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD would it make sense to go for a Studio rather than an on steroid Mini for the price difference?

Grazie
 

Richard10250

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2023
20
9
FWIW, I elected to jump up to the bottom end Studio with the Max CPU instead of a high end Mini with the Pro CPU because the cost increase for the higher performing Studio was relatively small. The lower end Mini didn't work for me because it lacks native dual monitor support.

If the plain M2 works for you then an upgraded plain M2 mini is significantly cheaper ($800 or 40% less).
 

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
724
204
Capri - Italy
I wanna buy into a computer lasting at least the next 5 years, this i7 has had a way long life span at almost 9 years so I am ready to face the 2.5K (with a financing) entry cost of the Studio, now I am on a single 27" 2.560 screen but might need to upgrade to a 4K 32" as for photo editing space is never enough, I know the Mini can stand it but I might want to use two screens and, in any case, willing to understand if the Studio would give any real advantage for the use I make it being a LightRoom archive and some photoshop editing.

Grazie
 

Chuckeee

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2023
2,087
5,868
Southern California
Generally the base Mac Studio would be a better choice/value than a supped up BTO Mac mini but there could be a few exceptions:
- you real like mini size/form factor aesthetics as compared to the Studio (seem a bit silly but this is the reason I went with a mini)
- money is really tight and you need the absolutely lowest purchase price (this isn’t the same as value)
- the larger fan on the studio is a major concern (for the vast majority of people this in not an issue)
 

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
724
204
Capri - Italy
I seem to recall the entry for a Studio here in Italy is 2.679 for the base model with 1TB storage upgrade and 32GB RAM, the Mini with 16GB and 1TB is little less than 1.500, since I am not gonna pay cash any of them and use financing I might stretch it to the Studio and, no, I don't mind shape, size or anything, I like both in visual and extra ports would come handy even tho I mostly use either SD or CFE to upload photos from my camera(s) to LightRoom
 

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
1,733
69
Boon Docks USA
Am going to switch to the studio from my current mini due to more ports and more ram available. Waiting on the M3 studio, 64 gb ram and 2 TB SSD. Go studio to future proof.
 

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
724
204
Capri - Italy
I am almost convinced I better wait a little more (presumably after this coming summer) and stretch the bill to go the Studio way, 2.4K euro is a ton of money but at 1.4K the Mini can't rivale the RAM nor the CPU and sure the Studio should last a little longer, no complains on the Mini, I got a bunch of them, the oldest in use is a 2010 which serves as a music streamer, a 2014 which is a file server and the one I am typing from which is a 2015 i7 which is still doing the job even tho showing signs of age.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chuckeee

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
733
411
Oslo
I bought a M2 pro mini 32GB. Compared to regular minis the M2 Pro minis supports more memory, more displays, have more ports and more CPU/GPU cores at a good price. And they are cool and silent. I have no regrets not getting a Studio.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Giuanniello

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
39
23
I bought a M2 pro mini 32GB. Compared to regular minis the M2 Pro minis supports more memory, more displays, have more ports and more CPU/GPU cores at a good price. And they are cool and silent. I have no regrets not getting a Studio.
The problem is the price starts to close in with the same features. At some points it was only like $100 less for a m2 pro with 32GB (or the same amount if you also upgrade to 10Gbit ethernet as well). If they are the same price, it definately makes sense to get the Studio instead.
 

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
13,555
7,081
The problem is the price starts to close in with the same features. At some points it was only like $100 less for a m2 pro with 32GB (or the same amount if you also upgrade to 10Gbit ethernet as well). If they are the same price, it definately makes sense to get the Studio instead.
Exactly. If you bump up the M2 Pro mini CPU to the 12 core CPU/19 core GPU configuration, with 32GB of RAM you end up at $1999, which is the same price as the entry level Mac Studio with the faster M2 Max. The M2 Pro mini only makes sense if you don't upgrade the processor at all and even then the price difference to the Studio is only a few hundred dollars or less.
 

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
39
23
Exactly. If you bump up the M2 Pro mini CPU to the 12 core CPU/19 core GPU configuration, with 32GB of RAM you end up at $1999, which is the same price as the entry level Mac Studio with the faster M2 Max. The M2 Pro mini only makes sense if you don't upgrade the processor at all and even then the price difference to the Studio is only a few hundred dollars or less.
The price went up, but you were able to get the base Studio for 1799 at one time. Mostly holiday sales.
 

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
287
295
The M2 Pro CPU upgrade from 10 to 12 cores is a total waste of money. If you’re even slightly considering it just get the Studio.
 

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
39
23
Was holding out for the M3 studio but found another M2 Studio for 1700 (new) and jumped on it. I was getting feature creep with the M3 anyway was going to get 64GB, etc. It isn't even my primary machine I was just getting annoyed with 16GB on the m2 pro mini.
 

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
724
204
Capri - Italy
I have to anyway wait until mid-end of summer, maybe the M3 will take place of the M2 and hopefully at the same price as per Apple's policy
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.