Base MBP with SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleFan922, Aug 7, 2011.

1. AppleFan922 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I plan on buying a 13" MBP with a SSD thru apple. Am I better off buying it CTO, or putting one in myself? I have never replaced a harddrive, is it hard to do? I also plan on upgrading the memory myself to 8GB, but that's simple enough. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. tekkietekkie macrumors member

if you can replace the memory replacing the HD is just as easy its just another couple of screws its simple

for performance aftermarket SSD's are faster (most of them anyway) and certainly cheaper but as far realability you always have support from apple if you get theirs

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I agree. Overall, after buying the drive, you'll come out even or saving money by buying separate. You're paying the extra for the SSD but you also do not get the included HD; by getting the baseline storage (and RAM), you can buy everything separate and just have extra, for cheap.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Buy everything aftermarket. Do you have a microcenter near you? That place is great for computer parts. If not, I'd go on TigerDirect or Newegg.

The SSD that Apple provides is only SATA II. If you want the fastest speeds, buy a SATA III.

5. tekkietekkie macrumors member

microcenter is awesome ! they have all the OCZ SSD's on sale right now I just got one there a few days ago on the base MBP and holy crap what a difference

the stock HD was around 70MBs read/write now with the agility 3 120GB I am getting 480MBs write / 460Mbs read