Base model 13 mbp + FCE = ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drago89, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Drago89 macrumors member

Ok,so i'm planing to buy the base model and then upgrade myself the ram to 4 gb and probably the hdd to 7200rpm.Already got a 22 inch monitor which i'll hook up to the mac when i need more screen estate.The thing is that i have no idea if the mbp can handle video editing with FCE.So anyone using that mbp or similar for that kind of work can help me find out ? :)

2. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

it can handle it my friend got 3 years old and uses it for movie editing with FCE

edit: don't get 7200rpm just get SSD

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A Mac computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, Intel Core 2 Duo, or Intel Xeon processor
    For AVCHD: A Mac computer with an Intel processor
    1GB of RAM or more
    An AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme; or an Intel GMA integrated graphics processor in a MacBook or Mac mini computer
    Some FxPlug filters are not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors.
    A display with 1024-by-768 resolution or higher
    A DVD drive for installation
    Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later
    QuickTime 7.2 or later
    500MB of disk space to install Final Cut Express and LiveType
    Additional 500MB to install LiveType content

from http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/specs.html

So it seems the base model will handle FCE quite well.

Editing video is not that CPU and GPU heavy, unless you throw a lot of many effects on every clip and so on.
    HD might also be a little bit taxing, but it will work nonetheless.

At work we edit with 5 year old Power Macs, so a new machine will do the job.

4. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I've been running FCS 2 on it without a hitch. The 800 FW port is awesome and you should make sure you have a fast external drive for all of your media.

5. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Lots of good posts in this thread. So often I see people asking about tasks related to video or audio, with people responding with complete overkill responses.

Will a 3.06Ghz C2D be better than a G4 for audio/video? Sure, absolutely. Is it 100% necessary? Not always.

I remember editing SD video on a 400Mhz DP PowerMac. Even that wasn't too bad.