Base model 13" performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleLou, May 7, 2011.

1. AppleLou macrumors newbie

Hi guys, student here buying his first apple product.

I was debating between the base end 21.5" iMac and the base end 13" MBP.

I finally decided to go for the 13" as I don't really like sitting at desktops and I could use the portability of the mbp.

I just have a few questions about the base model as I don't really have access to an apple store to try out the products myself.

_

1. Can it run games such as minecraft/sims 3? - I would like to play these for when I am on long train journeys to visit family. (Will I have to run windows via bootcamp to play them?)

2. Is there a way I could connect it to a hdtv via any of the ports on the mbp? (Willing to buy adapters and such).

3. How do you find it overall? Look, feel, ease of use?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

Fabulous. I have an mbp 13" / 8gb ram and I have been thrilled with it. It looks beautiful. It feels great. And, it couldn't be easier to use. If you are just playing games, though, I'd think you'd want to consider the ipad (I recommend both).

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Should run fine, they aren't that heavy. My sister's MacBook with 9400M runs Sims 3 fine and it's about 50% slower than the Intel HD 3000.

2. Any Mini DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI/VGA adapter will work. If you get mDP to HDMI, then the audio will be provided through the same cable as well.

You can buy an external monitor, keyboard and mouse to turn it into a desktop when at home.

4. JezzerP macrumors newbie

I have the base model MBP 13" and I love it! I use it for web design projects using photoshop & dreamweaver, and for iOS development using xCode. It will also play Eve Online just fine....yes the fans spin-up a bit loud and it gets a bit warm, but not to a point that has concerned me as yet. Thoroughly recommend them!!!!

5. AppleLou thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys, will definitely look into buying one when the student offer comes around!

Another quick question, should I buy a magic mouse or just a cheap USB mouse?

I have trouble using laptop track pads for gaming you see.

I have heard that the magic mouse can get pretty uncomfortable and it is pretty darn expensive for a mouse.

6. davie18 macrumors regular

It'll run those games fine. My brother has the same model and it can run portal 2 on quite high graphics very smoothly, so those games wouldn't be a problem.

For playing games, I'd probably just buy a cheap USB mouse, but it's up to you. As others will say you'll lose a lot of the functions of the track pad which you could use on the magic mouse if you got one of those, but another mouse might be better for playing games.

7. AppleLou thread starter macrumors newbie

I see, thanks.

I think I will just buy a USB mouse for gaming and keep the track pad for the main use of the MBP.

Thanks guys you have been really helpful, should have my new MBP by the end of the month!

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Works w/ HDTV fine. I love my 13" i5. If you live near a MicroCenter they have them on sale this month for $999 which is really a steal.

9. Captain Dynamo macrumors member