Base model 13" Pro should have come with 4 USB-C ports

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yr Blues, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

If you're plugged for power, you only have a single I/O. That's insanely not Pro.

2. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

Buy a dongle
    That is the default answer to every question related to the new Macbook pro :p

3. Mac Addict macrumors member

Mac Addict

4. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

It shouldn't be labeled as Pro. The 2015 MBP had 5 x I/O ports plus power and SD.

The new one essentially has 1 port when plugged into the wall.

5. VesselA macrumors regular

its even worse, if you use your laptop as a desktop set up with external monitor, you have one cable for power in all the time, so youre not thinking about battery, and another connected to external display.

This means you're totally dependent on your monitor having built in USB's, SD card slot, which not all do. In fact I havent seen any monitors with built in SD card reader, so you'd have to keep disconnecting your external display to attach a SD card adapter, or attach it to display which Im sure there would be issues with as SD card readers are temperamental enough as it is without having to run through a monitor first.

They should definitely have included a USB 2/3 on all macbooks, but looks like desire to thin device prevented it

6. chabig macrumors 68040

So it's mostly the product name that bothers you?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2016 ---
    A USB hub is your friend.

7. Guda.FL macrumors regular

$1500......dongle, hubs...apple kind of dog f. this one. Someone approved this for production. Greed.

8. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm a musician. So I use lots of ports for composing, recording, and mixing. 1 port after power is not professional by any standard. Call it the 13.3 inch MacBook instead.

9. VesselA macrumors regular

where do you attach it if you're using one port for power and the other for external display? Even if your monitor has USB ports plugging a hub to that creates an additional hurdle for the input, it's a clumbsy error from Apple.

10. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

dongles? I don't know what is everyone complaining about if you plug in any usb devices its a cable, regardless if its USB-A or C, and removing a card slot to have better battery life and a better design who cares.

what would enhance the 13" as a pro is quad core and dedicated GPU, if they can get 4cores and 4gb gpu in an iMac with a single fan and 12cores and 12GB gpu with a single fan, they can engineer something powerful enough with a 13-inch

11. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

4 cores and a dgpu in the 13.3 with 10 hours of battery life. The R&D alone would cost $2,000, base price $1,500 plus mark up for redesign. Starts at $3,799.

12. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

not so simple for someone who may be a function key traditionalist but be willing to pay more/ need more ports/ want to enjoy the new redesign

13. fxbeta macrumors member

fxbeta

Combining these thoughts:

Buy the one with 4 dongle ports.
    :p