base model 21'' with 16gb ram and SSD OR higher end model with only SSD upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by whatitdew, Jan 4, 2014.

1. whatitdew macrumors newbie

Ordering a new iMac in the next few days as a birthday present to myself. I have a 2007 model that has served me very well.

Trying to decide between the base model with max ram and 256 SSD

or

The next model up with only 256 SSD upgrade as they are equal in price.

I will use this computer for music production, web browsing and streaming movies. what would you guys suggest?? Would the higher end graphics card benefit me at all? Also which would you think is more important SSD upgrade or RAM upgrade.

I do not want the 27''

Thanks!

2. xsasha92x macrumors newbie

xsasha92x

Depending on what you are doing, the dedicated graphics card is essential if you are going to be doing any gaming or video editing with your computer. Unless you really think you are going to exceed 8 gb of RAM, I would definitely choose the model with the dedicated graphics. If you dish out the extra $200 for the 16 gb ram upgrade, you can guarantee that you have the best that you can get :/ and not get buyers remorse? The cost of the graphics should definitely outweigh the cost of an extra 8 gb of ram... it's too bad Apple RAM is so overpriced :(

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The RAM is not (easily) user-upgradable in the 21" iMac. Consider that in your purchase. Unless you want to do major surgery on your Mac down the road, order your machine with as much as you expect you will need.

You can always add additional hard Thunderbolt or USB 3 drives to expand the storage space. But upgrading the RAM on a 21" iMac requires the entire display assembly to be taken apart - not an easy job if your not comfortable working on such machines (and also voids the warranty).

The RAM on a 27" iMac, FYI, is user-accessible.