Base Model 4K iMac Not As Slow As Expected.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joshwithachance, Oct 31, 2015.

1. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

So I picked up a base model 4K iMac today with an education discount, and was expecting it to be basically unusable based on some of the reviews I've seen/read.

While the computer did stutter a bit on initial boot/setup, after installing the latest El Capitan update and letting it index it's running perfectly smooth. Icons only bounce once or twice after I tap on them to open, which I'm fine with.

All in all, I'm loving this machine already! Having the fusion drive as standard would be nice, and will probably happen in the next revision, but the base model isn't a bad machine at all. For the smooth price of $1399 I'm more than happy with it. But then again my last machine was a 12" MacBook...

2. blueeggs, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

blueeggs macrumors member

blueeggs

Also you could add external ssd with either usb 3 or thunderbolt. The benefit of thunderbolt would be you can use trim on the ssd. It will be not as fast as the new internal ssd's but will be blazing compared to the 5400 hdd in the iMac.

3. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I've never even thought of doing that! Great tip, thanks!

4. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Based on this forum, you're lucky it didn't explode when you opened the box :)

It's an amazing computer, enjoy it!

5. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Yeah, forget about benchmarks and naysayers. Just enjoy it!

6. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

That's great to hear enjoy your 21.5" - the external SSD is a sound suggestion.

I am back on my crusty, cranky, thankfully still working 2010. The new 27" is going back due to faulty video card.
    :rolleyes: :mad::rolleyes:

7. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Ha! I just dropped mine off at the Apple Store as well. Not quite sure what the issues was/is, but i git sick of reinstalling the OS and trying things. Applecare was great, but we all got to the point where we threw up our hands and were done with it. Worked fine, and was screaming fats, until I migrated my image. Then, things went South (GPU, drive, etc.). Wiped it all and started over, but could never get it stable again.

Apple said they could replace in 203 weeks, since it was a Build to Order. But I think I'll just sit this refresh out. I just got new 12" ribs for the woman and I, and my late 2012 i7 iMac is still handling anything I throw at it. Guess we'll see what next year's iMac refresh brings?

It's a shame, because I really loved that machine, until it started freaking out. We had initially suspected it was a software issue, which is why I wasted a week putzing with it. But enough is enough. Loos like it was hardware-related.

Still, very nice machines, I think I just got a lemon.