Base model 5k iMac worth buying?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SpottieOttie, Dec 20, 2014.

1. SpottieOttie macrumors newbie

I'm looking to purchase a 5k iMac that will last me a good few years. I'd be mainly using it for photo (some video) editing and gaming. problem is I can only afford the base model. I also do need a new computer for work relatively soon. Will I be able to get a few years use out of it without "wanting more" soon? Thanks for the help.

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

For photo and video editing, I'm sure it would suffice since that's the primary use it's marketed towards, and theoretically built for.

Gaming for a "good few years", probably not. You're running a mobile GPU, remember. I've ordered the 4.0GHz i7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSD, m295x 5K iMac in the hope that it'll run some reasonable games smoothly at 1440p (technically half of the native resolution). I'm not holding my breath, though, but am anxious to see how Apple's latest Windows 8.1 bootcamp drivers perform with the 5K screen.

You're always going to want more – as soon as the next model comes out. You mentioned you need a new computer for your own livelihood. For work, I can't imagine it letting you down. Even the base model is a mid-high end desktop computer, with a stand-out display.

Having said that, since it is a first-gen product, I sure as hell bought AppleCare. I suggest you do the same. Remember too, you've got 14 days to test the thing and send it back if you don't feel it brings you the value Apple claim it will – ie. $2,500.

Edit: I should ask – what are you upgrading from?

3. AR86 macrumors member

Having read lots about the performance etc. at a minimum i'd look at upgrading the GPU given the tasks you want to use it for.

4. Steveatesh, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014

Steveatesh macrumors regular

Steveatesh

I have the base model but with 16 gig ram from crucial. I use it for what you want.

It's fine. No problems experienced, will get better as Adobe adapt their software to use the GPU too.

I've tried Aftershot Pro 2 which uses the GPU and everything is instant, just to demonstrate what it can do.