Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
The MaxTech channel is on another level of cringe and baiting.

I certainly hope they're swimming in money from posting their garbage 'cause I sure ain't getting anything from watching their stuff.
Video title: “M3 MacBook Air Overheating - What was Apple Thinking?!”
conclusion of video: the new MacBook Air is impressive.
They literally called it “impressive” in the video, but you would never guess that by the title and the over exaggerated first 10 minutes.
Literally, the conclusion was that yes, it throttles, but even when it throttles, it’s still faster than the M2. And (surprise surprise) it absolutely never overheated once in the video.
It got hot, but overheated implies that it stopped working, which it absolutely did not.

The Chosen One

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2015
Why?
RAM I get, 8GB in 2024 can definitely be a squeeze.
But I think a lot of people seriously overestimate how much storage most (average) people are using.
Between iCloud Drive (which synchronizes the desktop and documents folders already) and the affordability of external SSD’s, 256 GB is plenty for most.
Not to mention the fact that most people don’t store music, movies, and TV shows on their computers anymore, because it’s all streaming. Unless they’re going on a trip, in which case one or two movies isn’t taking up a full 256 GB.
My M1 iMac is my main computer, it has only 256 GB, and it’s not even half full.
It’s complemented by a 2 TB external SSD, which works just fine.

Thats the whole point for Apple. "Force" people to use iTunes. Bam subscription money rolling in.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Why?
RAM I get, 8GB in 2024 can definitely be a squeeze.
But I think a lot of people seriously overestimate how much storage most (average) people are using.
Between iCloud Drive (which synchronizes the desktop and documents folders already) and the affordability of external SSD’s, 256 GB is plenty for most.
Not to mention the fact that most people don’t store music, movies, and TV shows on their computers anymore, because it’s all streaming. Unless they’re going on a trip, in which case one or two movies isn’t taking up a full 256 GB.
My M1 iMac is my main computer, it has only 256 GB, and it’s not even half full.
It’s complemented by a 2 TB external SSD, which works just fine.
I have a 512GB 15 Pro Max and just got a M3 Air with 512GB. it's seriously overkill for me. I still have well over 400GB free on both. I got the 50GB iCloud plan so syncing desktop/documents to that (only used ~770MB storage in iCloud). 256GB would be more than enough for me. Right now I'm trying to download as many apps as I can and thinking about what files I can bring over to my Mac to try fill it up even just a little bit more lmfao.

My main computer is where I store everything (total capacity is 4.5TB) and I back up my most important stuff to a 2TB external drive. In total my PC "only" uses 968GB out of the 4.5TB. I have a 2TB drive for files, a 2TB drive for games, and a 500GB boot drive for Windows and apps. On the boot drive I have 296GB free.

While all my files are stored on my drive I do make good use of cloud storage and I stream all my tv/movies/music. You really don't need a lot of storage these days. RAM is way more important when configuring a Mac.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Thats the whole point for Apple. "Force" people to use iTunes. Bam subscription money rolling in.
First of all, iTunes barely exists anymore.
Second of all, I just used iCloud Drive as the example, plenty of other services work just fine.
Google Drive, OneDrive, dropbox, you can use them all, if you don’t want to give Apple anymore of your money.

Reactions: Tagbert

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Video title: “M3 MacBook Air Overheating - What was Apple Thinking?!”
conclusion of video: the new MacBook Air is impressive.
They literally called it “impressive” in the video, but you would never guess that by the title and the over exaggerated first 10 minutes.
Literally, the conclusion was that yes, it throttles, but even when it throttles, it’s still faster than the M2. And (surprise surprise) it absolutely never overheated once in the video.
It got hot, but overheated implies that it stopped working, which it absolutely did not.
I watched that exact video earlier and was not surprised it was a clickbait title. If i've learned anything this week it's how absolutely insane youtube videos are when it comes to Mac products. It's like wading through miles of **** to find a tiny piece of useful information.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I watched that exact video earlier and was not surprised it was a clickbait title. If i've learned anything this week it's how absolutely insane youtube videos are when it comes to Mac products. It's like wading through miles of **** to find a tiny piece of useful information.
Yes, in the mind of most Youtubers, the only possible way to use a Mac is with 128GB of RAM, 8TB of storage and your own custom thermal pads on the inside.
Despite none of that being necessary for 99% of people.
I’m exaggerating, of course, but not really. There are videos of people talking about putting extra thermal pads in their MacBook Air which… If you are even slightly worried about this, I don’t think the MacBook Air is the computer for you.

The Chosen One

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2015
First of all, iTunes barely exists anymore.
Second of all, I just used iCloud Drive as the example, plenty of other services work just fine.
Google Drive, OneDrive, dropbox, you can use them all, if you don’t want to give Apple anymore of your money.

I meant iCloud, not iTunes. Also plenty of people do use iTunes.
And maybe you do, but most people don't or won't. Suprise, Apple actually knows what it is doing.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Remember when some sheep suggested garbage excuses like, 128GB chips were in low supply, nobody was making them anymore, etc.? Apple will happily sell you an iPad/Air with 64GB storage and iPad Pro or Apple TV with 128GB.

Apple is clearly doing everything it can to increase sales after the steep 34% drop last year.

This year, we've seen Apple add what they consider "Pro" features like dual-display support, decrease MBA price to $1,099, and return SSD performance to where it was.

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
These minimum specs would be ok for a starting price of 799,-. Imagine if it was always at this price and they made RAM and SSD upgrades in 100,- steps instead of 200,-. The Mac sales would skyrocket, edu market, grandma and prosumers alike would all be happy and get a new laptop with their desired specs.
The drop in profit/revenue per mac won't be offset by the number of sales gained. Apple has run the numbers. They are priced as it is because it's the sweet spot that maximises total profit/revenue, which is a function of both profit per unit and volume.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Also plenty of people do use iTunes.
for music purchases? Because that’s about all iTunes does anymore.
Movies and TV shows are now in the TV app, music streaming is through Apple Music, podcasts are in the Podcasts app, and device syncing is in the Finder.
Literally, the only place in macOS where the word “iTunes” is still used in the front facing interface Is the music store.
And even the iTunes Store is hidden by default, you have to go into the settings to enable it.

ZiBart

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2021
These video thumbnails nowadays are way too cringey and full of clickbait.
Its Youtube thumbnail 101 = Screenshot of weird facial expression. Apparently it helps with clicks in some physiological way. I used to think Real Estate agent billboards and bus stop posters were the worst but Youtube has taken that crown. Some creators are somewhat classy and Max Tech is fine IMO but most others are trying really, really hard.

I guess its good that Apple reverted back to its own standard of ssd speed? Hopefully the complaints about 8GB ram will eventually force them to include 16gb in their base offerings. I can accept 256gb quick storage in non pro systems, as many people use affordable external storage and/or the cloud, but the unupgradeable 8gb RAM is insanity. Just faster ewaste down the road.

Last edited:

StrangeNoises

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
is it right that a 128GB ssd chip is now more expensive than a 256GB one? If so, are we now at the point where apple is actually paying more, and sacrificing more profit, to supply a 2x128GB base model than they would if they supplied a 2x256GB base model? That's just getting spiteful now.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
is it right that a 128GB ssd chip is now more expensive than a 256GB one? If so, are we now at the point where apple is actually paying more, and sacrificing more profit, to supply a 2x128GB base model than they would if they supplied a 2x256GB base model? That's just getting spiteful now.

A pair of 128GB NANDs are a couple bucks more than a single 256GB chip. It's inconsequential for Apple.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No, but one 128GB chips are more expensive than one 256GB.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
A lot of consumers use laptops to just browse the web and type documents. If the iPad can work well with 4 GB memory, 8 GB memory will work fine for them in a MBA.

Spot on. The majority of MBA users with modest needs will do fine with 8 GB of memory. It's great Apple offers that option at a lower price. If you need more memory, simply pay for it. Though I realize many people want free stuff and get steamed if their demands aren't met.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.