Base model or upgraded 5k imac for print?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Macmamamac, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Macmamamac, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

Macmamamac macrumors regular

I am a graphics professional and my average photoshop file size is roughly 500mb at 400dpi. Layers can go from 5 to 20.

I have decided on the 5k simply because of the screen, but I have no idea if base model or upgrade will be necessary.

All I know for sure is that I don't want 1tb HDD storage. So I'm going for the 256gb SSD drive because of the massive speed increases. This is the only component that I have an intuitive sense for.

CPU and GPU, however, I just have no idea what would be considered overkill.

Someone made an analogy that there's no point buying a 200 mph super car if you only need one to go 50 mph. But, I can't gauge how many miles an hour I am travelling with my photoshop usage compared to a maxed out 5k.

Any help would be much appreciated. ��

2. chandler99 macrumors regular

I'm in print a manage fine with a 2011 27" iMac for dealing with huge (1gb+) psd's or should i say psb's and fairly complex ai files.

I would love a 5k but don't have a need for it past my current setup.

Either of the current 27" iMacs would do you proud. If you fancy the resolution of the 5k go for that :)

3. andy9l macrumors 68000

Just a quick note on this - the 1TB option on the 5K iMac is not simply a spinning HDD - it is a 'Fusion Drive'. A Fusion Drive is a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD 'fused' together by OS X to appear to the user as a single, fast drive. You can read more here, if you don't already know (don't want to come across patronising...).

Depending on your usage, you may get very similar performance from the Fusion Drive as the SSD. I'm not an advocate of the Fusion Drive, but it works for others. I thought I should mention this in case it influences your purchasing decision.

4. Macmamamac thread starter macrumors regular

I do a lot of brush work and was wondering if its possible to put the brush to max 5000px without any lag on your 1gb files?

I think if your 2011 can handle it, then a maxed out retina might be overkill and I'll opt for the base model.

5. chandler99 macrumors regular

Best advice is go with what you can afford and enjoy it. They are great machines.

6. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

It's all about the screen. 5K does make a huge difference.

As for the rest of the hardware, it is really good in any configuration. The base model will be just fine for your work, even more than fine, and get higher configurations only if you can afford them and enjoy computers :) The super car analogy is great - if you like super cars and can buy them, who cares if you only need 50mph :) Don't feel guilty if you decide you want an i7 or 4Gb GPU. But, if you want to get the best value for your money, the base model is the way to go - as you get a really good computer with an amazing screen that does make a difference. Not a "can't work without it difference" (you certainly don't *need* 5K to work), but more like "this makes my job easier" difference.