Base model Retina iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Col Vandal, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Col Vandal macrumors member

Just looking for feedback from owners of the base model iMac as far as usage goes. If you use Photoshop or Lightroom, how's it going? Anyone wish they went with the upgraded CPU/GPU?

2. Steveatesh macrumors regular

Steveatesh

I got the base RIMac, but upgraded to 16 meg RAM through crucial. I had a budget and it didn't cover any other upgrades.
    I use it for general computing but primarily with photography in mind.

At the moment I am still using my PC software, Paintshop pro X6 through Parallels. I don't know if you are familiar with PSP but it is more demanding on the hardware than Photoshop, especially using background eraser with large brush size, and once the layers build up.

Up to now Parallels on the RiMac has managed admirably, with no delay on using the brushes and tools, or with layers. It was a joy to use my Wacom pen on, the brushes being smooth and instant in application, no waiting for the computer to catch up which plagued me on the PC. I am using Nikon RAW files around 14 - 18 meg I think.

Fr my RAW converter I am still using Nikon NXD Capture ( the Mac version now though) , which is free for Nikon users and provides a useable RAW tool. It was slow on my PC and although much better in the RiMac still can be a little slow at times. Not a big problem mind, but it's not instant.

My intention is to use it until LR 6 arrives, apparently in March, which is going to accommodate the RiMac screen apparently.

Until then I am happy to use NXD.

The RiMac manages pictures great, in general use I notice no delays or lags and it is much much faster than my PC, which was an i3.

Would I have liked upgrades? Yes but I don't have an endless wallet for computer stuff. Are they absolutely necessary for my own use? No, not at all. Hope that helps.

3. rpalstra macrumors newbie

rpalstra

I have the base Retina iMac, only with 3TB instead of 1TB Fusion Drive. Using both Lightroom 5 or Photoshop CC 2014, I haven't experienced any kind of noticeable lag or spinning wheels (nor the fans spinning up loudly). I have to say these were small batches of photos (less than 100 RAW images from my Canon EOS 5D Mk2 each time).

4. enroh macrumors member

I got a 2nd base iMac after the 1st was defective...finally sat down with it for an extended period but its going back.
    My productivity isn't going to improve over my Windows box and paying >$3K for a nice screen (and its a lovely screen) isn't worth it to me.
    LR and PS are not any faster and i rarely edit my RAW files in a 1x1 anyways as I find I zoom in on the areas I am "fixing" making the 5K almost worthless.
    The monitor looks good, don't get me wrong but compared to my Asus 2K screen its not a "WOW awesome screen!" moment. Its got warmer tones out of the box than my calibrated screen and I am sure i could "fix" that as well but to me is it worth the money? No.
    The system overall performs OK. Its not great and its not bad. I would say to anyone to at least get the i7 if you are going to do just 1 upgrade and while you are at it to swap out the 1TB fusion drive for the 256GB SSD and get yourself a TB or USB3 external drive if you need more space.
    My windows machine for those interested is an i7-3770/16GB DDR3/120GB Mushkin SSD rated at 550MB/s read and write...I have a 12TB NAS on my LAN

5. Col Vandal thread starter macrumors member

I went ahead and placed an order for the base retina. I'll pick it up soon at my local Apple Store and run it through the paces for two weeks. If it's not doing what I want it to do, I'll return it and order one with upgrades, but coming from a 2008 model, I'm thinking it'll be fine. The extra money can be used toward a laptop for my son as he enters middle school next year.