Base model vs Step Up for Photo and Video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr Strangelove, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

I am torn between the base model and the step up to 2.53Ghz, etc etc.

Here is what I am doing, maybe you can help me make an informed decision.

#1 HD Video and Photo editing using iLife and Aperture. (Not professional. Mostly pics of my family and newborn son etc). I may hook it to my 24" LCD every once in a while for ease of editing.

#2 Web surfing, simple web design.

#3 General PC usage for home and while I am on the road.

**I will upgrade the base model to 4GB but am not sure that the slight speed bump, 3MB extra cache, and 256MB extra video memory would make sense to spend $500 for.

2. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

HD editing on a macbook pro or not is a no-go.

I tried and forget it, editing is okay but rendering just takes way too long.

3. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Even using a standard consumer grade HD camera? I would presume that I can do some kind of splicing and cutting with iLife no?

If your answer is still NO, then how would you answer my original question?

4. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

I'm a photographer, and not a video expert. So let's get other people's feedback as well.

Splicing and cutting is fine, but applying a B&F filter for instance takes a lot of time to render to obtain the final film.

5. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

So you are saying the base model is just fine for Photo usage?

6. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I think you'll be fine with the base model. Frankly, and digital video editing you do on the base model would only be sped up ever so slightly with the upgraded processor. Not really enough to warrant a $500 upgrade (and by you even asking if it's worth the $500, I am assuming that you are working on some level of budget and don't have money to just throw away). For the rest of your usage and needs, the base model will be plenty quick.

As for the time to render issues that another posted mentioned, so long as you are looking laptop vs. Mac Pro, you aren't going to see much of an upgrade with the slight processor bump. Perhaps something nominal (a couple seconds faster here or there) but nothing worth $500 to a casual home user.

FWIW, this is my opinion as another casual home user. I am not a pro with this stuff by any means.

7. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, its a tough call. I do have a budget, but it's artificial really. This notebook needs to last me 2-3yrs and I just don't want to regret not forking out the extra $500 next year.

8. jqc macrumors regular

I use a late 2006 MBP with the ATI 256MB card hooked up to a 20inch LCD with aperture 2. not a pro but shoot fashion no problems in terms of usability, everythings pretty quick loading 10mpx raw files. the preview preview button feature makes it even quicker to zip around. Id have to assume the new MBP base will be even quicker!

9. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, maybe that is the ticket then. For some reason I thought the extra CPU and Vram would make a difference.

10. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Well, yes, it will make a difference. But, for $500, it will make a comparatively negligible difference. Ultimately a business decision/budget call.

11. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

I think I already know what is going to happen even though your suggestion makes sense.:D

12. Bitmap Frog macrumors member

If you plan to edit video, go for the step up and pick the 320gb 7200rpm drive. Cutting should be ok and rendering will take some time but you'll manage.

13. themari macrumors newbie

Similar dilemma

Hi there,

I actually have a similar dilemma as to which model to get. Been waiting to upgrade my Powerbook G4 12'' 1GhZ for quite sometime now. I used to carry it around a lot but that's not the case anymore since i have finished college and havent been traveling as much anymore. So I'm looking to get a new MBP 15''. MB may be an option with an external monitor, but, I do miss having more screen estate within the laptop and will regret the lack of firewire for music stuff.

I just don't know whether i should buy the base model or go all out for the 2.53. It will be my primary machine, primarily for home use. Main uses will be photo editing (including iPhoto, Aperture, Photoshop), internet surfing, emails, chatting, some html coding, music listening, recording and editing (mostly with Garageband), office suite use, light gaming, and some video editing via iLife. May install Parallels to use Windows for biz purposes.

Is the $500 difference worth it?

Any suggestions?

14. mscofield macrumors member

For those purposes, I don't think so.
    You could get something else nice for the money you'll be saving.

15. Coldwater macrumors member

To everyone who is in the same position:

If you fall into the heavy CAD, Final Cut HD video rendering crowd:
    A) You should save your money and go for an iMac that will destroy the MBP. :p
    B) Failing that, the upgrade (and possibly the bump to 2.8 Ghz) will be worth it only if this will be a primary machine, and you must have your files rendered as soon as possible, even if the difference will be small. Consider the 320GB 7200RPM drive as well or go buy your own.

If you fall into the more or less consumer crowd (video editing but nothing production quality, photo editing, gaming enthusiast):

The bump will not be worth your while. The extra cost is not worth the meager gains, and you are most likely on a budget so the "pro" extras may be too expensive. Consider 4GB of ram but not much else.

16. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

This is very sound advice, I am going to do my best to take it. I also forgot to mention that I will be using Garage Band as well with an external display. (Still trying to figure out what else I need to purchase to input a guitar and mic into the laptop)

I'm probably going to buy this weekend after I go look at these directly. Will do my best not to waste money on the 2.53 Upgrade.

17. Coldwater macrumors member

Good on ya. You made the smart choice, too many people waste money on specs they don't need. The extra can go towards your adapters/dongles/what-have-you.

18. sinn. macrumors member

I am in a similar situation. I have a quad 2.8 MP and I am selling it for a MBP. I do mostly 3d work, along with graphic design and audio production and DJing. I am thinking about the 2.4, a substantial decline from my MP but I need/want the mobility. Also I plan on building a PC for a render farm, so for mass renders I can use that. I will have it hooked up to a 22" display most of the time. Anyone want to talk me into getting the upgrade or should I just go with the 2.4?

19. Coldwater macrumors member

Only if you go with the 2.8. 2.4Ghz vs 2.8Ghz isn't going to set the world on fire, but it at the LEAST you'd see a noticeable bump. 2.4 vs 2.53 will do very little for the price.

If you've got the cash, go for it. Otherwise, stick with the base and just grab some RAM. Right now 4GB of RAM is a cheap way to see a bump on programs that could use it.

20. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Just ordered the base model 2.4GHz and will see how it goes. You guys are right about me not needing the higher end model. With the savings, I am buying a Printer and Airport Extreme