Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trifectas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Hi, I really think Apple should start the base models storage from this year on 128gb instead of 64gb. 64gb might be enough for some people, but 128gb is the sweet spot.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
but 128gb is the sweet spot.

Which is exactly why it won’t be the entry level. Business 101: you want to give people a compelling reason to buy the more expensive product, and that often means just a subtle omission from the lower tier. If nickel & diming for storage seems bad, just think about how some companies (including Apple at times) intentionally don’t offer the most popular or latest colour option on the entry level model, thus compelling people to bump up to a whole new price tier just for a colour!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi, I really think Apple should start the base models storage from this year on 128gb instead of 64gb. 64gb might be enough for some people, but 128gb is the sweet spot.

But here’s the problem, if Apple were to start the iPhone at 128 GB, you know they’re will price it considerably higher, which may not be an attractive price point For someone who doesn’t _need_ that much storage, maybe they prefer a smaller storage like the 64 GB. In my opinion, I find the majority people opt for 64 GB, not just because that’s the most storage they require, because it’s the cheapest iPhone in their lineup offered at the time.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
But here’s the problem, if Apple were to start the iPhone at 128 GB, you know they’re will price it considerably higher, which may not be an attractive price point For someone who doesn’t _need_ that much storage, maybe they prefer a smaller storage like the 64 GB. In my opinion, I find the majority people opt for 64 GB, not just because that’s the most stores they require, because it’s the cheapest iPhone in their lineup offered at the time.

I do kind of agree with this. Plus, I just do not see Apple starting iPhone storage start at 128gb this year. For me, 64gb is more than enough for me. I pay for 50gb iCloud storage, so all my iMessages, photos, videos are stored there. The last time I checked, I still have 33gb available on my iPhone.

But I always have opted for the the smallest capacity iPhone. I always got the 16gb when it was offered and then 32gb when Apple finally decided to bump up the storage.

Reactions: chabig and 44267547

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
On the 11 and 11 Max, Apple might offer 128/512GB/1TB as a way to maintain $999/$1,099 prices in the face of weakening demand. NAND prices are in free fall this year.

Consumers choose storage space based on perceived need. Many will choose 512GB simply because it's the middle option.

The base 64GB offering made sense when Apple was facing strong demand. Things have changed since then.

The 11R with dual rear lenses could keep 64/128/256 in an effort distance it from the premium models.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010

It's like you've answered your question. 64gb is fine for some people! So why wouldn't apple make that one of the choices. 128gb is the sweet spot for you. So you have that option as well.

Reactions: chabig

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
My guess is they'll stick with the 64GB. Apple doesn't make as much off phones as they used to, and Services is a huge thing for them going forward. So staying at 64GB for the entry level phone will push more people towards cloud services. If all phones came with adequate storage, I could see fewer people signing up for iCloud. Why get an extra $100 out of your customer one time when you can get a little bit out of them every month?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
My guess is they'll stick with the 64GB. Apple doesn't make as much off phones as they used to, and Services is a huge thing for them going forward. So staying at 64GB for the entry level phone will push more people towards cloud services. If all phones came with adequate storage, I could see fewer people signing up for iCloud. Why get an extra $100 out of your customer one time when you can get a little bit out of them every month?

Apple needs competitive hardware to attract those iCloud subscriptions in the first place. And even then, Apple is only squeezing out $0.99 or $2.99/month. Over a 4 year life cycle, that amounts to less than $150.

Competitive hardware will attract a larger base of customers who are willing to sign up for Apple's $14.99 video streaming service.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Competitive hardware will attract a larger base of customers who are willing to sign up for Apple's $14.99 video streaming service.

I think you're mistaken in what is "competitive hardware" for the average consumer. I think the average consumer is more concerned that it's "Apple" than how many GB are inside. But I guess we'll find out in about another 6 months.

Reactions: 44267547

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think you're mistaken in what is "competitive hardware" for the average consumer. I think the average consumer is more concerned that it's "Apple" than how many GB are inside. But I guess we'll find out in about another 6 months.

The significant loss in market share in Asia and Europe are strong indicators consumers are no longer buying iPhone simply because it's from Apple.

Consumers look at the whole package, including storage, display size, cameras, etc. Storage space is something most consumers can easily quantify and compare across other devices.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
The significant loss in market share in Asia and Europe are strong indicators consumers are no longer buying iPhone simply because it's from Apple.

Consumers look at the whole package, including storage, display size, cameras, etc. Storage space is something most consumers can easily quantify and compare across other devices.

Perhaps. We'll see in 6 months. Till then, I'm sticking with my theory.

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
If the base model storage remains 64GB that would be fine with me. I still have plenty of space left on my 16GB iPhone 6+.

Reactions: chabig

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Why? Because you think so? Or do you have actual data showing the usage of most people?

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I always find it interesting when we discuss storage, and I’m willing to believe consumers generally don’t even know how much 64 GB or 128 GB actually is. They just see the price point and they decide if they want to pay the extra amount of money for an iPhone for storage they may or may not even need. I still think 64 GB is perfectly suitable for about 80% of consumers to purchase iPhones for their needs.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
a perfectly configured iPhone has never existed and never will. Same with the Mac. It always has been and always will be a conflict between what you want the phone to have and what you want to spend.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I always find it interesting when we discuss storage, and I’m willing to believe consumers generally don’t even know how much 64 GB or 128 GB actually is. They just see the price point and they decide if they want to pay the extra amount of money for an iPhone for storage they may or may not even need. I still think 64 GB is perfectly suitable for about 80% of consumers to purchase iPhones for their needs.

For some consumers, they associate storage capacity with age of the device. Consumers may not use much storage, but if their existing iPhone 8 or X has 64GB, an iPhone 11 with 128GB base can encourage upgrades simply because it carries a larger number.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
For some consumers, they associate storage capacity with age of the device. Consumers may not use much storage, but if their existing iPhone 8 or X has 64GB, an iPhone 11 with 128GB base can encourage upgrades simply because it carries a larger number.

New generations of phones did effectively need more storage because they are producing and needing more data. For example the new 4K 64 video format is creating about 4 times bigger files than the old full HD format. The IOS is getting bigger and the apps too with their data too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.