Base or High End 21.5" iMac? Worth the 200$?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Deathwish86, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Deathwish86 macrumors member

Hello guys,

Maybe this topic was already been covered a few times in the past but I am having a real hard time deciding between the two versions of the iMac 21.5". Besides the usual internet/multimedia home use, I want to play some games. Nothing to extreme, games like Diablo3, Witcher2, Counter Strike, basically I like RPGs. Money is reeeeaaaally reeeaaally tight so I prefer to get the High End only if it's absolutely necessary. I live in EU where Apple stuff is really expensive (i live in Romania but I am considering buying from Amazon.de because it's cheaper by at least 100€, yeah we don't have an Apple store here so...).
    Looking forward for your advices and thanks in advance! ;)

2. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

It used to be more of a no brainer to just get the entry level if money was tight. Then later to add memory was a piece of cake and even swapping out or adding a SSD wasn't too bad and doing both was usually more advantageous then the processor and HD space the next model gave you.

But with Apple severely limiting the user upgradability of the new 21" iMacs it may have changed. It looks like swapping out the HD for a SSD is simple if you can get past the adhesive of the screen, but to get good access at the memory you have to take it pretty much apart. Also it appears the entry level does not have a SSD slot that the higher 21" does.

Still if money is "reeeeaaaally" tight, go with the entry model. If it comes down to it later and you need more you can always sell and buy something else or pay a certified tech to do any upgrade if money frees up! ;)

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I bought the base as I think it's the best value. The "high end" has a slightly better video card but same amount of VRAM so its not going to yield that much more performance. Same with processor. Also keep in mind the 21" has a snail for an internal drive. I'm not even going to use mine... Going to buy some faster 3.5" drives + an SSD and put them in USB 3 enclosures.

4. Deathwish86 thread starter macrumors member

The main incentive in getting the High End is the GT650M. I plan to add some more memory and replace the HDD or add an external SSD myself in the following months/hal a year. Seems is possible to make your own Fusion Drive, so in theory I can make my own Fusion Drive. The stock memory will be enough for the proximity future and since I dont't feel I need the extra CPU power, it all comes down to the GT650M vs GT640M....

5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

If money is tight, go with the base model. Should be just fine even for the gaming you want to do. Frame rates should be respectable.

6. MacWanter macrumors member

The only reason why I am going to spend the extra 200$ is so I can max it out, since you can only upgrade the ram, in the base 21.5'