Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
I called the Apple Store and they said they could upgrade the 8GB to 16GB in the store while you wait. So is the RAM not soldered onto the mobo? I thought it was? Be nice if it's not :)

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I called the Apple Store and they said they could upgrade the 8GB to 16GB in the store while you wait. So is the RAM not soldered onto the mobo? I thought it was? Be nice if it's not :)

It is soldered. You sure they were referring to the Retina model, not the regular Pro?

LinksAwakener

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011

From the iFixit.com Retina MacBook Pro Teardown:

As in the MacBook Air, the RAM is soldered to the logic board. Max out at 16GB now, or forever hold your peace—you can't upgrade.

My guess is that the store you talked to thought you were talking about the older MBPs. The new ones are not upgradable, only web-configurable. Sorry.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
From the iFixit.com Retina MacBook Pro Teardown:

My guess is that the store you talked to thought you were talking about the older MBPs. The new ones are not upgradable, only web-configurable. Sorry.

Yep, I specifically said the "Retina MBP." My guess is that the Apple employee just doesn't know the details yet. Oh well.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yep, I specifically said the "Retina MBP." My guess is that the Apple employee just doesn't know the details yet. Oh well.

I'd think it was this, then anything else. I'm surprised by some of the things these sales state.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.