Base rMBP 15" & TB SSD or 2.6/512GB rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by runebinder, Jan 2, 2013.

1. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I'm in the process of selling my MBP and also selling a laptop I won at work and will have the money for a rMBP later this month. I get a 10% discount where I work and 20% off extended warranty, so will not ordering a BTO unit. I keep swinging between 2 decisions:

1. Base rMBP and LaCie rugged TB 256GB external SSD. The LaCie will cost £250

2. 2.6GHz/512GB SSD rMBP, this would cost £470 over the base model so £220 more than option 1.

It would be nice to have 512GB of internal storage as I would like to run Windows via Bootcamp on it as well. The LaCie is small and bus powered so would be portable, and is faster than the SSD in my current MBP, so having a small Windows partition and then install programs onto the external would not be an issue performance wise. Also the price difference would cover most of the cost for a nVidia GT 670.

Also to add my desktop Mobo has dual Thunderbolt ports so would be usable on both my computers.

So would you go for the convenience of having all of the storage internal, or the cheaper and more flexible option of the SSD?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I would do;

2.3/16/512. The 16GB ram is a better value/option than 300MHz upgraded CPU.

3. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

As I mentioned, BTO is not an option for me as I get a 10% discount at work of a rMBP and 20% off the extended warranty cover which includes acc dam, my work only sells the 2 standard models. As I travel a lot the peace of mind that brings is worth more to me than an extra 8GB RAM.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I need to learn how to read. I would get the base better one with 512GB then.

5. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Lol, no worries. That's what I'm learning towards but will probably change my mind several times before I get it.