Base rMBP Experience so far

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ppone, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ppone, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

ppone macrumors regular

Hi all,

Just got the rMBP yesterday from a Best Buy in NH. They seem like the only store to get it at, if you want it right away. Plus they match the education discount, and they told me I can check back within 30 days if a new gift card promo is being offered, to match the 100 Apple Store gift card. Also signed up with their credit card to get $80 dollars worth of there reward points, which isn't bad. Plus NH means no taxes :).

The only downside of it is the wait, but right now there are few options. Still can't believe the Apple Stores in NH don't have it.

Performance:
    *I have OS X Lion on it not ML

I was a little worried after the Anandtech review, about the lag. So far I have not experienced any lag on any of the rMBP at the Apple Store, Best Buy, and of course my Mac. That doesn't mean there isn't but I can't perceive it.

I also enabled quartz debug and I am getting anywhere between 25-60 fps on the UI. I don't have Facebook but i have tried various other sites like Quora.com, and various flash video sites. No slowdown.

This laptop is fast. I am consistently getting 11000 on 32-bit geek bench. I have turned the resolution to "more space" and it didn't effect any geek bench results. I really don't feel any lag either.

Safari sometimes does use up to 50% CPU depending on the site, but this rMBP you can use up 600% CPU and still be fine. Remember the cpu on the retina's have 4 cores and 8 threads, so you can use above 400% CPU and not notice any lag. When running Geek Bench just look at the activity monitor and you will see the cpu usage sometime spike to 798%.

Thermals:
    The fans seem to stay around 2000rpm. The heat seems more evenly distributed and the laptop is definitely quiet. So the thermals definitely seem better than my previous 2009 3 GHz C2D.

The only negative with the rMBP for me with it is; although not conclusive (since I just got it) is I feel more eye strain using the rMBP. I feel less strain on the higher resolution "more space" option. I have gotten a headache 2x, 1 from using it in the Apple Store, 2 - Using it last night.

So that is my biggest compliant. I have to see how it goes over the next few days, otherwise it would be bummer to return it. Eye strain and headaches are show stoppers to me, but hopefully it is just coincidence.

2. Sahee macrumors regular

Sahee

Uuuh regarding your eye strain... that's a big point.
    You basically get it when using it at scaled resolution? I thought that the high pixel density would be good for the eye... nobody else encountered this problem while using the rMBR?

I would like to make something clear:
    Does the Retina Display (option: best for Retina) reduce or increase Eye-Strain?

3. LeGacY X macrumors member

LeGacY X

When used at the best for Retina setting the rMBP should reduce eyestrain, as the UI elements and text are relatively large being rendered at a super high pixel density 1400 * 900 resolution. However, the "more space" options will probably increase eyestrain.

4. Aksta macrumors regular

HoW dies it handle flash videos? Do you notice the fans?

5. TennisandMusic

I've been thinking of getting one of these but eye strain would be a huge huge deal breaker. It's the problem I have with the iMacs.

Is it the brightness, glare...what do you think it is?

6. Eallan macrumors 6502

Interesting comments. Coming from a Hi-res 2010 MBP, to the new rMBP, I notice dramatically less eye strain. I'm trying to use the rMBP at the "best for retina" setting. I've used it scaled a few times, and each time I get more eye strain than the default setting. I'm actually starting to dislike small UI's for the first time ever.

None of the options have given me anything severe with regards to eye strain. It's a minor nuisance at best.

7. ppone thread starter macrumors regular

Haven't seen it go above 4500 rpm for flash heavy sites. Nothing to worrying about the heat. Definitely seems better than my old 3.06 Ghz C2D MBP.

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I use SwtichResX and generally run it at 1680x1050 HiDPI or 1920x1200 HiDPI, depending on distance, position and presence or absence of reading glasses (more likely 1440x900 HiDPI).

Haven't noticed eye strain or the scroll lag. one noticeable thing is it's not as comfortable to type on as my MacBook Air was, due to the lack of tapering. Not a big deal though, because most of my serious typing is done when it's at work, on a Rain stand with wired keyboard. I also find that when it's on the stand it stays much cooler than sitting on a flat surface. Right now (after 3 hours continuous use), it's only slightly warm on the bottom and near the centre of the keyboard, cool everywhere else.

9. ppone thread starter macrumors regular

The glare is almost a non-issue indoors. Not quite as good as MBA but much better than the 2012 MBP.

I don't think it has anything to do with the brightness. It just might be an adjustment period, where you need to get use to super crispness of the retina.
    So I am just waiting and seeing how it goes for me.

But it is the best notebook display out there.

----------

The eye strain due to rMBP is not conclusive yet. I have only had it since yesterday.

But I definitely think it takes some time to get use to for certain people, like me.

10. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

That's a real show stopper eyestrain! Have you tried the brightness settings?
    You got eyestrain by reading some text on it or just by looking into it?

11. ppone thread starter macrumors regular

Brightness didn't really factor in.

Just by looking for extended periods. Again, it could just be me. Since I haven't heard of anyone saying it.

So I will see how the next few days go. It could just be a non issue and me just needing some adjustment period.

12. ppone thread starter macrumors regular

No headaches :). So it probably that adjustment period to get accustomed to the new retina display.