Base Station vs O2 router for range?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jadot, Apr 6, 2010.

1. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

Problem : I have Mac computers, and have a wireless connection using a standard O2 router. I'm just about to build the office/studio in the garden and I need an internet connection here, but the O2 box hasn't got the range. It's about 100ft between the router and the hot seat with a wall and some planting in the way. My question is this:

Will an Airport Extreme base station give me more range than the O2 box?

Will an Airport Extreme work with O2?

Would I be better off laying an Ethernet cable along with the rest of the electrics all the way up to the studio and do away with the Wireless idea? Can a (approx) 100ft Ethernet cable give me a decent signal or is that just too long?

So, boring I know, but if anybody out there has experience with similar equipment over this range, please let me know.

Thanks

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The Airport Extreme does not contain a modem, though you could use the O2 router as a modem.
    Which is what I did for the brief time that I used O2 as my ISP.

I wouldn't expect the range to be that much better either, unless you use the Airport to extend the range of the wireless network through the use of WDS, though I can't remember how well the O2 box handles WDS.

If this were me, I'd lay the 100ft ethernet cable, especially as you're already going to be laying other cables anyway. It would give you more flexibility in the future, just make sure you get some decent quality cable.