Base unibody w/ applecare till 2012 $1000 is it woth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chris7777, May 18, 2009.

1. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I just saw an ad for a base unibody on my local craigs list for a grand with applecare till early 2012. Does this sound like a jump on it deal?

I was thinking of getting a refurb, and I was looking at possibly getting a pro,
    BUT

I am disabled, and even if I can go back to college it would at best be part time.

I Want to do comic book illustration, and possibly some flash animation.

I mainly do family photography, but I might look into it as a possible career option as my choices seem to be shrinking .

So I would probably use the adobe suite, painter, manga studio.

I was thinking of getting an external monitor to use dual monitors at home, or possibly just getting a seperate Imac, instead, but it seemed redundant
    But considering I mainly wanted a pro for the pci expansion slot for memory cards(photos) If I can get a comparable screen to the macbook pro, or Imac For my artwork , this seems like it might be a better option especially with the applecare.

I figure I can just get an external card reader and an external monitor hopefully equivalent to the quality of the pro or imac, with the money I would save.

Or should I just hold out for a macbook pro?

it would be nice. But this seems like it might be a better deal to get my foot in the mac world door, as I am still squeamish about spending 1700 on a refurb macbook pro, plus applecare and tax. and then wishing I had an external monitor, or that I had just gotten the 24" imac.

Thanks

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you can still see it in person and the applecare is really valid, that's not a bad deal...

Why does the person want to sell it?

3. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't know yet.

I am just hoping that if its legit, that they still have it.

they are listed as the town next to me so its like 15 minutes away.

Should I suggest meeting at the apple store to transfer apple care, the nearest one is 30-40 minutes away, but its closer to them than me, But it seems like the best way to verify applecare, and transfer it, plus if they want my grand, surely this is not too much to ask.

oh one other thing, being a mac noob what should I do and or look fr and at on this to make sure the laptop is a good one.