* Baseband downgrade thought...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by unity, Oct 8, 2010.

1. unity macrumors 6502a

On an iPhone 3G (not 3Gs, 4, etc). A few can downgrade the baseband using Fuzzyband if the bootloader is 5.8. But most came with 5.9. Its hardwired in, so the bootloader can not be changed.

Which means that if you, like myself, had someone be "nice" and upgrade your 4.0 to 4.1 then your baseband has been updated to 5.14.02 which, at this time, can not be unlocked.

There are many out there stuck on ATT or have a fancier iPod Touch.

Since we have the ability to create custom firmware files for restore, why can we not update the baseband to a prior version? Sure, there is the ability to downgrade from 4.1 to 4.0, etc. But the baseband does not want to downgrade. Is it some built-in protection?

So why not create a firmware "upgrade" that loads what looks like a newer version of the baseband but instead contains the vulnerable, unlockable code of the previous versions provided?

Am I making sense? Basically an downgrade disguised as an upgrade. And if this has been thought of, I would love to read any threads or reasoning as to why its not possible.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not really making much sense, just false assumptions.
    If it was that easy or simple it would have been done.

3. unity thread starter macrumors 6502a

So creating a custom firmware with an updated baseband that used the old code does not make sense?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It has been tried, and it has failed.

5. unity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any links on discussion. Sorta a hard one for Google to bring up.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No links are needed. It's common sense, if it had worked, the Dev Team would not be hunting for unlocks in the new versions and Apple would have patched it.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

An updated old baseband?:D
    You mean downgrade?
    If they could they wouldn't bother trying to find exploits in newer basebands.

8. unity thread starter macrumors 6502a

No. I mean "upgrade" in the sense that it will be overwritten with an older version. Because clearly there is no easy way to downgrade with 5.9 bootloader and up. And because it clearly CAN be upgraded easily. I guess I am not being clear enough.

And I suppose it has been attempted. Oh well.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

the baseband firmwares are probably sig-checked, so one can't just make a custom baseband firmware and assign it high number.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes, the baseband signature check is much stronger than the firmware one. If it were possible to trick the phone into believing an old baseband was new, it would have been done.