Baseband on 16gb

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nigelquest, Feb 6, 2008.

1. nigelquest macrumors member

Can someone confirm the baseband that comes OOTB on the 16gb? Also, can anyone report sucessfully jailbreaking the 16gb and gettign service with a valid ATT sim (but no iphone contract). TIA.

2. simplekid macrumors member

why confirm? its pretty obvious they're not going to go back a version. i can garantee it will be 4.6 if not a newer version thou thats highly unlikley

new iphones with 1.1.3 are not unlockable at all, yet. could be a week could be months only the people who are working on it know.

3. jeffmc macrumors 6502

he asked about baseband not about the bootloader.

bootloader will most likely be 4.6 as stated above, the baseband should also remain constant unless apple is pulling a fast one on us. i haven't had one in my hand just yet tho

4. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Hmmm

Well as stated above it will definitely have 1.1.3 and a 4.6 bootloader. However, I bought a 1.1.2 phone with 4.6 bootloader and was in the same boat as you are in now. I am now running 1.1.3 (jailbroken) with the 4.6 bootloader and everything works. So, I assume an OOTB 1.1.3 phone under your circumstances will work fine. Just read through some of the jailbreaking walkthroughs and see what that say about downgrading from 1.1.3 OOTB.

5. igglepuff macrumors regular

I dont believe there is a jailbreak method for a OTB 1.1.3 yet. You can't downgrade to 112 like you can in a 112 OTB to 111 to jailbreak it. Sim Solutions have been said ot work on 113 baseband, however, there's no way to activate seeing as ou cant jailbreak it.

again, i think this is hwo it is as of right now - I could be wrong.

6. jeffmc macrumors 6502

you're right, you CAN technically downgrade but you ruin your baseband and the only way to correct it is to restore to a 1.1.3 image and obviously that defeats the purpose of even bothering.

7. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Out of curiosity, does the OOTB 1.1.3 come with a newer bootloader than OOTB 1.1.2 phones? Or is it still 4.6?

8. Skystar macrumors 6502

You can downgrade it to 1.1.1, then upgrade to 1.1.2, then do the soft upgrade/jailbreak to 1.1.3, but none of the phone functions would work, because the new baseband (so far) only works with iTunes activated (legit) AT&T SIMs. When someone comes out with a real patched 1.1.3 lockdownd file, we may be able to use non iPhone AT&T SIMs again.

So it is possible to have a jailbroken 16gb iPhone, if you have a legit AT&T iPhone SIM. If not, you essentially have a 16gb iPod Touch, with camera/speakers/bluetooth :cool:

9. ehaugk macrumors member

i ran to the att store yesterday and bought the 16gb iphone. I already had att service with my blackberry. Activated the iphone with the new, preinstalled SIM which comes with it, and proceeded immediately to jailbreak. Did what the guy said above; down to 1.1.1, jailbreak, oktoprep, upgrade to 1.1.2, run 1.1.2 jailbreak, run 1.1.3 official dev team jailbreak and thats it. as long as youre staying with att you'll be fine

10. Skystar macrumors 6502

But you are still using the sim that came with the iPhone correct? I think the OP was trying to find out if its possible to use a non iPhone att SIM. I'm not sure if thats possible yet with the new baseband.

11. nigelquest thread starter macrumors member

12. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

13. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Essentially it means gaining access to the file system so changes can be made. This is different from unlocking which allows you to use the phone portion on networks other than AT&T.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Those xSIMs work on 1.1.3 - they have a chip on them to fool the iPhone into thinking it's an AT&T SIM, you then "paste" your SIM to it to get service on your system.

Talk about a hack...

15. munroe macrumors regular

1.1.3 OOTB? I've been looking all over for confirmation of this. Where did you get that information?

16. adamsweeting macrumors regular

munroe....

Check out http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/

Geo_Hot has released a 1.1.2 & 1.1.3 OTB soft unlock. *SIM's will die a death now

basically it flashes the baseband to the 1.1.2 BB, and patches it so that you can use your SIM.

17. munroe macrumors regular

Brilliant! Now I just have to wait until after work to check it out. (My firewall blocks access to the site.)

18. adamsweeting macrumors regular

I think the site is getting HAMMERED!

I'm in the same boat.... need to wait 'til I get home too (at work also)
    Double boooo

19. tim370 macrumors newbie

any chance you have a link to instructions about how to downgrade an otb 1.1.3 to 1.1.1?

20. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

21. tim370 macrumors newbie