baseband upgrade question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bw1128, Apr 5, 2011.

1. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

my iphone4 is currently on baseband 1.59.00 locked and version 4.1 jailbroke by limera1n. i really dont care about not being able to unlock since im a at&t customer, but i care about the resale of my iphone4 later when the newer one comes out. is it safe to just upgrade to 4.3.1 via itunes and use redsnow to jb while upgrading my baseband to the current version? what do you think the chances are that the newest baseband version will be able to be unlocked? it helps tremendously in resale value.

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

Define 'later'.

3. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

when the new iphone 5 comes out.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt chance it. Save the unlockable BB.
    Use pwnage tool instead or Tinyumbrella to preserve your unlock.

5. TC25 macrumors 68020

There's no way there will be an unlock for the 4.3.1 baseband by the time the iPhone5 comes out at the end of June.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Come on! Do you know what you are talking about?

4.3.1 is a firmware version and not baseband.

7. loyalist macrumors 6502

8. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i would give my left nipple to have BB 1.59.00

my current IP4 was a replacement - was already on 4.2.1 and BB 3.10.0

would love to hot swap all my sims rather than cutting them out then not able to use them in my other phones- such a hassle

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I would never update my bb unless I knew the unlock for the updated bb was already out and working. You never know what issues the dev team will run into for the new unlocks. Since the author of their previous unlocks is mia, who knows when the unlock will arrive?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Relax and cool it down dude.
    Insulting and name calling is not tolerated here per boards rules.
    Let's just get along and help eachother instead of fighting.

11. uanuglyfool macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

Just preserve your BB and don't unlock it until you need to. That's what I do. Be careful tho, musclenerd is saying that there is a compatibility issue with 1.59.00 on 4.3.1......there is a fix but it's not out yet.

@MuscleNerd

"The 4.3.1 issues (signal bars, etc) are fixed is.gd/OYktXf but need a few days to test all devices + FW (again: not a new unlock!)"

"It's probably confusing, so worth repeating: this isn't a new unlock. It's a compatibility fix for current unlockers only"

"(and for those retaining older baseband for resale value even though they don't use the unlock themselves)"

12. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

13. TC25 macrumors 68020

Please, actually read the thread before posting. I was helping the OP when I was insulted. Tell him to 'cool it down dude'.

14. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

When is iphone 5 coming out? Do you know? We don't. Do we know if unlock will be available? We don't.

Of cause it's save to update (not upgrade) via itunes. It won't explode.

15. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so if i use the steps from iclarified to use pwnagetool to jb to 4.3.1, it should preserve my baseband? i think this is the route i will take, but i want to wait to see if dev will update it to fix the signal problem. i just hope this will help my resale come 4 months or so from now. haha.

16. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

Ok this is the thread that I have been looking for. I still have the 1.59 baseband with my iPhone 4. Later when I get home, I'll get the 4.3.1 IPSW and use Pwnage tool to jailbreak and unlock my iPhone 4. I can see in Cydia that there is the ultrasn0w fixer for 4.3.1 (Don't be fooled, this is only if u have a 1.59 BB). I'll let you guys know how it went and hopefully this will fix my battery drain issue.