Basecamp for New Macbook 15"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by daudi81, Jan 30, 2014.

1. daudi81, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

daudi81 macrumors regular

I bought the new 15" MacBook Pro when it came out last year (2013) and have yet to put Bootcamp (not Basecamp) + Windows 8.1 on it. I keep hearing and reading forums that it's really buggy right now and you have to do all these loopholes to get it working.

Does anyone know if the issues have been ironed out yet? I'd like to get Basecamp + Parralells / Vmware on it to run some applications, but I'm not super technically inclined, especially with Macs as this is my first one. I know it used to be easy, but with the newer macbooks it seemed like everyone was having issues so I just decided to wait it out.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you mean bootcamp

I've used bootcamp for a long time, though never for my rMBP. Based on what I see on the forums, its quite stable and no problems AFAIK.

If you're unsure of loading windows natively, have you considered vmware as you can run windows virtually within OSX

3. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Basecamp, this made me lol.

I have been using Windows on my rMBP since day 1. It works flawlessly without any errors. Do understand that it will always be on the dedicated GPU.

Parallels is automatically optimized for Windows 8.1. It is far more advanced than bootcamp.

Good luck.

4. Snookerman macrumors 6502

If you can get it to install, it should work fine. I can't... However, Boot Camp officially only supports Windows 7 and 8, not 8.1 but many people seem to get it working anyway.

5. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

Ha whoops - I used to use basecamp a lot - so I got caught with habit.

Bootcamp, You're right. I'll edit it now =)

----------

Can you run both?

Doesn't bootcamp boot you into a full windows environment, and parallels runs it on top of your OSX boot? So gaming, etc wouldn't be as good using parallels than just a regular bootcamp boot? Or am I missing something.

thanks

6. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Install it through bootcamp first and you can easily virtualize from the bootcamp partition.
    Resource wise, bootcamp will be better for 'gaming.' But in terms of drivers, parallels is constantly updating features and support.

7. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks that makes sense.

Are there any guides online on how to do this? I just did a search and it seemed like there are 50 different ways to install bootcamp (or maybe there were just a lot of out-of-date ones). Any good ones that you recommend for bootcamp 'noobs' ?

8. Xerotech macrumors 6502

A followed a direct guide from Apple.
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1583/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.7.pdf

It's pretty straightforward though. You'll need either the Windows DVD or the ISO downloaded onto a flash drive.
    Run the bootcamp utility and it should download some Apple specific drivers.
    It'll install just like any normal Windows installation.
    To boot into bootcamp simply old down the alt button when powering up.