Baseline 2011 iMac for gaming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ranny2, Oct 19, 2011.

1. ranny2 macrumors member

Hi all,
    I totally understand that the 2.5GHz i5, with AMD Radeon 6750m graphics is not a gaming machine, and I do not intend on using it for that, however I may want to put just a few games on it through bootcamp, and was wondering how well it will cope.
    Probably games like:
    Call of Duty 4 and 6
    FIFA games
    A few driving games
    Not the most intense, or recent games, but how would they run on this model? Also, is there any benchmarks of this iMac for gaming that I can have a look at?
    Thanks

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I don't own that model, I own a slightly better one, but I'm sure the games would run fine. I wouldn't say play them on the highest settings or anything but they should run fine.

3. lc25 macrumors 6502

They should run ok, just don't expect anything brilliant and turn the settings down.

4. simon567 macrumors member

I have the base 27" iMac and it runs FIFA 12 perfectly fine, with the settings on medium and the resolution reduced slightly (I run it through my TV mostly at 720p). Native resolution is sometimes a problem, FIFA12 for example runs at what I think is 30fps with the resolution right up. There's also an OSX version of FIFA this year, not sure if that performs any better.

5. kgian macrumors regular

I have a base 21.5 2011 imac.

I haven't tried the games you pointed, but I have run some of the latest demanding games:

Crysis 2 works very good on 1080p, I lowered the resolution though to have even smoother frame rate.

Rage by Id software runs great on 1080p.

Deus Ex Human Revolution runs great 1080p direct x 11

Metro 2033, considered one of the most demanding games runs smooth in a slightly lower resolution than 1080p but no DX11 effects.

All these under bootcamp offcourse. All in all it is fine for games...

6. Red Dmitry macrumors newbie

Purchased this iMac (21.5 i5 2.5Ghz) for myself, it will be delivered in 2 weeks, but what I saw on youtube, most of the games run good with mid settings - this is totally enough for me, I totaly don't care of graphics, for me main thin is gameplay (now playing Minecraft btw). So if you don't play at all maximum I think this Mac will be ok.