Baseline 2015 4K iMac Gaming Performance

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TrenttonY, Dec 28, 2015.

1. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of purchasing the new 4K iMac which came out in October, the only thing that will be custom will be replacing the 1TB HDD to a 256GB SSD.

It has Intel Iris Pro 6200 Graphics.

Anyone have this model? What can I expect?

2. torquer macrumors regular

Depends on the game of course, but you can generally expect to run current games at 1080p or lower on medium settings. The Iris Pro 6200 is actually surprisingly capable for an integrated GPU. Google some reviews of it and you'll see benchmarks for recent titles. You have no hope of running anything even moderately demanding at 4k, though. Perhaps older stuff like Portal 2 or TF2 might run acceptably well.

3. TrenttonY, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015

TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, yea thats what I expected. Fortunately all I play is SimCity, Left 4 Dead, Bioshock, Civilization V, GTA IV

Will those work fine, at 1080p, medium settings?

I currently have a rMB, and I can barely play Left 4 Dead, or SimCity on low graphics.
    Does the iMacs Quadcore have any effect?, as my rMBP only is dual core.

Thanks

4. torquer macrumors regular

Those games should run fine. They won't run at 4k, but at 1080p they should run acceptably well. The CPU is a limiting factor for SimCity or Civ5 as those are CPU intensive games, but for everything else your GPU is the limiter. The GPU in the 13" rMPB (I have one too) is the non-pro version of Iris. There are some clock speed differences but the main difference is the "pro" version includes 128MB of eDRAM on the CPU/GPU die. That greatly increases graphics performance.

Just make sure you manually set your resolution to 1080p and never enable anti-aliasing. I think you'll do just fine.

5. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

Iris Pro is not bad (better than many dGPU used in laptops). You should be fine playing the games you listed at 1080p. You could even play GTA V on medium to low settings at 720p.