Baseline 21.5 imac gaming videos (bootcamp)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by faisal13, Jun 6, 2011.

1. faisal13, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

faisal13 macrumors newbie

Hey guys i'm a freelance graphics designer and i've been puzzled over getting the higher end 21.5 inch imac or the baseline imac giving me more money to spare for another machine like a white macbook (for university and meeting clients as well).

but i also like to do a little bit of gaming for when i have time, i was a little worried that the 21.5 baseline couldn't cut it but after somebody that got the baseline imac released a few videos on it's gaming capabilities, im pretty sure that the baseline imac will be fine, this is for anybody that is also on the fence.

21.5 baseline 2011 running crysis:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpt6Cwl6rVU&feature=channel_video_title

the video looks choppy i guess but thats cuz of the camera, the person gaming however says it runs perfect

21.5 baseline 2011 running mafia 2 :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvIDVTQ8eA

it gets stuck at times because he's using fraps

lemme know ur thoughts and if anybody owns a baseline or high end imac 21.5 please post some videos :) thanks guys

P.S my budget is around 1700 dollars for now so the high end 27 imac is out of the question, i'd rather just add the extra money into my savings for a portable device (plus i don't really like it because the screen is too big)

2. Kerel macrumors member

The performance difference between the base and high-end 21" imac is to small to justify the price!
    The HD6750 and HD6770 are basically the same chip.
    The only difference is shader clockspeed 600 vs 725
    This gives the HD6770 a performance increase off about 10 to 15%.

Buy the base imac and save your dollars!

3. faisal13 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! yeah i think i'll be doing that, do you have the base model? i'd like to see more gaming benchmarks for the 21.5 inch

4. Kerel macrumors member

5. faisal13 thread starter macrumors newbie

ohh nice! how is it? can u give me any information regarding that? thanks :D

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I have the higher end 21.5 and I think it was worth it. Just having double the hard drive space is a plus.

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I was thinking about getting the higher end 21.5, but lower end with external HD made more sense to me as it's not like it's a laptop. Preference though.

8. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

True, but when I'm working on demanding tasks such as HD video, external hard drives don't cut it and its nice not having to worry about internal space when I'm doing large projects.

9. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

10. faisal13 thread starter macrumors newbie

just read it, nice overview!! are there anymore like this? i don't exactly play games like witcher (except assassins creed), im an fps person, just that usual normal gamer.. so can u test other games like crysis and gta4 please? thanks!

11. galliano macrumors newbie

I think you have nothing to worry about. If the Witcher 2 plays well on the iMac, the rest of the other games will surely perform ok (if not better). That's why the review by GrantMeThePower is very useful

FYI, I tried Crysis 2 previously, and ran on medium settings on the baseline 21.5" iMac.

12. faisal13 thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh right, with what kind of fps? i don't mind an fps of 25-30 i don't really demand 60 fps tbh :)

a new mac store just opened at a mall here in bahrain, checked the baseline out :p i opened every single app all at once.. SO fast XD