.bash_profile PATH messed up

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by arsenal1130, Mar 26, 2016.

1. arsenal1130 macrumors newbie

During my install of homebrew I believe I may have moved my bash profile and I'd like to return it back to its default. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ex:

JB:~ JR$ cat ~/.profile
    cat: /Users/JB/.profile: No such file or directory

Thank you!

2. dyn macrumors 68030

You could copy the one in /etc/profile or /etc/bashrc and alter the copied one to your liking (be sure to name it .bash_profile). If you make Time Machine backups you could retrieved it via that way. Best is to do that via the commandline.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Your thread title says ".bash_profile", but the command you posted refers to ".profile". Those are two different files.

If you have a ".bash_profile", then ".profile" isn't used, and vice versa.

What does this output?
    Code:
    /bin/cat ~/.bash_profile
    How about this?
    Code:
    /bin/ls -la ~

Also, if your PATH is messed up, you need to show us what it is, by posting the output of this:
    Code:
    echo " $PATH"
    The PATH is currently working well enough to find the 'cat' command. You can tell this by the form of the error message. It starts with the command-name ("cat:"), and then it tells you the file that doesn't exist.

If the problem were that 'cat' isn't being found due to a messed up PATH, the error message would be different. Try the command 'meow' insted of 'cat' and compare what it says with the message posted.