Basic 15" rMBP late-2014 and WoW

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RastajeleN, Nov 3, 2014.

1. RastajeleN macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice regarding that laptop and its performance in WoW.

I have just been to Apple retail store where they let me test it out on that specific laptop. I played WoW from my USB stick.

No matter what I did the FPS (in a non busy area) was around 50 (that is everything on low and resolution on 1440x900), when I increased something, resolution or details (even just to fair details and resolution by 2 levels), the game started lagging (not internet delay), it was like a picture slide show. (WoW was beautiful on the highest resolution and even just Fair/good details)

Please, I am considering buying this laptop, but this really worries me. (Do not tell me to get a windows gaming laptop, I am aware of that possibility)

Could anyone tell me if that is a normal rMBP 15" basic performance while playing WoW?

Possible reasons for the lagging (I repeat that I have barely any knowledge):
    1. Internet connection was *****, downloading was 200 kb/s. Could that be the problem?
    2. Employee told me that the laptop is running 2 users at that moment. Both of them have the operating system running (while one is obviously in WoW). Could that slow it down that much?

Thank you for any ideas,
    Have a great day!

2. endhalf macrumors regular

While I don't have a 15" rMBP, according to http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris-Pro-Graphics-5200.90965.0.html it will play WoW only on lower resolution. If you want it in full retina resolution, you'll most likely have to turn the graphical settings all the way down. It might help to invest into the GT750 but looking at it, it isn't THAT better. Then again, 500 bucks extra will get you double the SSD space and a better GPU so if you have the money, I'd go for it if I were you. If you don't have the money and you don't want to compromise your WoW experience, then I'm afraid the Iris Pro isn't going to cut it unless you're ready to turn down the resolution.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

WoW is old, so I'm surprised an Iris Pro would have trouble. Definitely keep it at 1440x900, as Iris Pro's main drawback is its lack of dedicated video ram and only a 128mb L4 cache it shares with the CPU. I use to play this when it first came out at 30fps on a pentium 4 with a graphics card with an AGP interface...

Definitely sounds like either something else running was causing problems, or it is just badly coded in OSX.

4. blooperz macrumors 6502

several reasons for poor performance here.

a) your running the game in OS X...if your planning on playing WoW do yourself a favor and install windows bootcamp on a separate partition you'll have greatly increased gaming performance...that way you get a windows-like gaming experience and still get to use a mac.

b) WoW i just coded really poorly so its always going to have poorer performance than one would expect ..

750m for gaming...iris pro is much slower when it comes to games..goes without saying.

5. RastajeleN thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you really think that running it on bootcamp windows would increase the performance that much?

Plus, do you really think it is worth it spending the extra 500 dollars to get the stronger version? Would it make the difference?

Thanks for any helpful feedback

6. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Running it under Windows would increase performance substantially. Games on OS X just do not play that well.