Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrinceAvalon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Hicksville, US of A Baby!!!!!!
Okay first, not sure this should go here but I figure here is better than the "dedicated" iMac section or Mac Mini section.... cause it could go in either and I'm asking a basic question for advice on either so I hope it's okay to be here.

This is on behalf of a friend. I haven't had much experience myself with Macs in any recent years last time I used one Clinton got sworn into Presidency OOPS lol.

The question is cause my friend can't decide what to get. He already has a really nice monitor; it's actually the 23 ACD. Having said that he figured just get a Mini but if an iMac is a lot better then he'd just get that and have an extra monitor lol.

I'm sure you'll ask what he intends to do, nothing wrong with that as that does impact purchase decision he doesn't do much just an online machine, watch movies and videos etc. Basic video and photo editing that iPhoto/iMovie handle so I'm sure a Mini can do that pretty decently.

He wants to know though if all you can get/afford is the very base iMac the 1200 dollar 21.5 inch one is there any huge difference between that and a Mini other than larger hard drive? Sure it can store more RAM I believe but I guess he assumed the iMacs due to design use laptop grade stuff just like the Mini so there really won't be any huge difference like a laptop version of a Core2 and the desktop one there are speed/performance differences, sometimes decent sometimes negligible so it doesn't matter to most. He already has 2 external drives both 2TB one for Time Machine, one for storage so internal HDD isn't a huge beef. Unlike me he doesn't do work where HDD speed is everything and I don't know what speed Mini's use so not sure if the iMac will be leaps and bounds faster/better.

So all in all since he is budget limited already has a very nice monitor and stuff is the iMac so much faster; keep in mind all he could afford is the very base one, that it warrants the money or is it not a big deal if he just gets the Mini?

Hopefully I made that somewhat coherent lol; fighting a nasty migraine so maybe my grammar and context came out confusing, hope not though lol

PrinceAvalon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Hicksville, US of A Baby!!!!!!
Oops, s hitastic eyes on my part lol.

I saw just now a post a few down w/ a similar question the 21.5 v the mini. Damn how'd I miss that lol, must be the migraine lol. Cause what I saw before was just a Mini v iMac overall and of course the iMac overall stomps it but comparing the very base iMac to a Mini might not be so outright which is better like the i7 iMac vs a Mini O_O Mini has no chance in power and performance there lol.

I guess my friends situation differs in some area's but overall that thread can be used to answer his query I suppose. He is an; what's the word, Apple loyalist. Not a fanboi but a loyalist. He pretty much loves Apple, has for a while and until they don't work for him he will pretty much only buy Apple computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.