Basic Aperture Query

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by James Wilson, Aug 14, 2011.

1. James Wilson macrumors newbie

Hello - I am new to Aperture and should be grateful for some help.

I would like to attach a photo stored in Aperture into an email in Yahoo. The photo is 8mb large according to the metadata in Aperture.

When I click on Attach in Yahoo, select the photo by going to the relevant project, it is only uploading a file which is 666kb large.

I don't think this is a Yahoo issue, as if I attach the same photo using Iphoto, it attaches the 8mb file. So it seems to me that Aperture is deciding to apply some compression somewhere along the line.

By way of further information - in Aperture - Presets - Image Export - both the "JPEG Original Size" and "Email Original Size - JPEG" is set to "Image Format JPEG", "Image Quality 12" (i.e. the max), and "Size to Original Size". So the presets are not asking for any compression?

This is driving me nuts - what am I doing wrong?

James

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Aperture is probably attaching the generated preview of the image. It could be significantly smaller than the original image. For example I have previews set to the size of my screen which is a lot smaller than the output of my EOS 7D.

3. James Wilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Robbie. So how do I attach the full image as opposed to the preview?

4. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Well, do you want to attach the RAW file or a JPG? If you want the RAW file you need to export the master file if you want a JPG you need to export a version of the file (unless your camera doesn't support RAW). To do these things, right-click on the photo in aperture and choose the option "export versions" There you will be able to choose quality settings. Make your option and then voila. Note, if the file is an 8MB RAW image, even a full quality JPG will not be 8MB as a JPG is compressed by its very nature. However, you won't be able to "see" the difference.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Use the export command and make sure you choose "JPEG - Original Size". Then attach the exported JPEG.

6. James Wilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I just want to attach an unedited JPEG in the same size as it is on my SD card, and as it appears in Aperture. And I wanted to do it through Yahoo, rather than having to export files etc - like you can do with Iphoto. Surely there is a simpler way of doing this than exporting the file to somewhere else, and then attaching what you have exported?