Basic Apple Warranty covers International ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fredsarran, Jun 18, 2008.

1. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Hi,

If I purchased a Apple Mac Pro in the UK (without Apple Care Plan), then move to the Rep of Ireland. Would my warranty still work in the Rep of Ireland ? Does the Apple Care Plan covers international moves ?

I also want to buy a Dell 2408 24 inch screen, would that also be covered ? by Dell Warranty in another country.

Cheers.

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

AppleCare is international for laptops (and iPods, I think), but not for desktops. From the UK to Ireland isn't exactly Japan, but they'll probably say 'rules are rules'.

No idea, but call them up and ask. Dell's support is pretty good, or so I hear, so it's possible.

3. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Some manufacturers will transfer a warranty once to another country, if you move.

But they usually don't for people buying something on vacation because it is cheap.

5. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Well I live in UK and my bank is in UK. My billing address is in UK. I move to the Rep of Ireland and I can also prove that.

That would be great if they transfer my warranty.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Dell is "International Ownership Transfer"/"International Tag Transfer"

Should be able to find info with a search.

Have no idea where or what Apple calls it.

7. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I have Apple Care for my imac 2.8 extreme. I plan on moving from the USA. I have read Apple Care and there is no mention of any limitations on warranty, either in the USA or any mention of internationally.

8. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

I am in the same boat kind of. I am buying an MBP shortly and will be taking it with me when I move to New Zealand for just under a year. I've been trying to figure out if I will still have warranty support on it.

9. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Some updates

So, I phoned Apple Care Center UK and they assured me that I can buy a Mac Pro in UK, then buy a Apple Care Plan in Ireland, and that it will be covered. They did say that with the basic warranty, I would not be covered.

I hope it is true because reading the terms and conditions is very exhausting.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that was the case a number of years ago but Apple changed it's coverage several years ago. Currently both portables and desktops are covered internationally......here's a copy of the current warranty for Apple computers; current warranty

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that's not what the warranty says though....I think you just got sold the extension. In any event, I asked this same question to an Applecare tech here in the USA about a year ago and he said his operating instructions includes information for providing warranty service to people who've brought their desktop from other countries to the USA.

Anyway, if you read through the current warranty you won't find an exclusion for desktops limiting your coverage to the country where you bought your computer but you will find information relating to getting service internationally

12. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Even better news :) And I still have not bought the extension.

13. rupansansei macrumors newbie

I live in Japan but purchased my Powerbook in the US. I have Apple Care and just recently took my laptop into the Apple Store in Tokyo. It was no problem to get it fixed. Took four days. Thinking of buying an iMac soon, so will have to see if Apple Care covers desktops internationally.

14. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Earlier on, in this thread, it mentioned that Apple provide support internationally for desktops (warranty apply).

15. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

While in Toronto I had a screen issue with my iPod. Dropped in the Eaton Centre Apple store, but there was a wait time because it was busy. Since I had to get to the station a little later I asked one of the floor people if I could take it to Apple store in Troy MI. She said the Apple warranty was good on both sides of the border. I assume she knew what she was doing.

16. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

That's great from Apple. As a big company, they could have been mean and charge support in other countries.