basic Back to my Mac

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by aicul, Dec 4, 2013.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

I've been trying to get this to work and frankly am running in circles.

Probably something to do with the router - maybe something else, I just don't know and Back to my Mac actually gives ZERO clues on what may be wrong. Is it my setup on Mac A, on Mac B, the router of Mac A or router Mac B, etc.

Anyway, having never got this to work, I'm more guessing (as for setup I am using multiple sources of information) than actually doing anything logical at this point in time.

Am wondering if someone can point me to a useful (and detailed + complete) link where setup of Back to my Mac is detailed (my searches have not been successful).

If ever; both Macs have Mavericks and are located in geographically distant locations.

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Give this a look.

Pay particular attention to the section below. Make sure these ports are open on your router if you are not using a Apple router.

3. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I'm sure you checked this already, but do you have Back to my Mac enabled on both Macs?

4. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, I don't. But I only want to do back to my mac on one iMac, not on both.

5. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I tried to do that, but you do have to enable it on both for it to work. It's the way they have it implemented. I wish you could just enable one.