Basic beginners questions???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Big Stevie, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Just received my first ever macbook pro today:). Ive used windows laptops for the last 12 yrs, so everything is new and stange to me. And so the questions start...:rolleyes:

1) How do i get webpages to fit the screen? I can maximise the page ok, but I still get blank borders on each size. Ive established I can do a two finger double tap to zoom in, but is there a way to always get pages to fit screen?

2) Is there a 'delete' button on the keyboard? Ive found the 'backspace' button but not the delete button.

3) Can I get Bookmarks to appear at the side of the webpage so I can quickly select a new favourite webpage?

4) Is there a 'Home' button to navigate back to a pre selected webpage?

Im trying really hard to accept the different Apple way of doing things, honest:eek:

2. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

1 - You can get the internet browser window to fit the screen but what you are asking is not possible. Web pages each have their own respective widths (set by the site itself), and the white borders you are seeing is just the space representing the difference between your monitor resolution and the resolution of the web page. Some webpages are coded to appear full-width, while others are coded to be static widths.

2 - If you hold down the function (fn) key, on the bottom right, and press the delete key, this acts as a windows delete.

3 - Depends on the browser. What exactly do you mean appear on the side though. Most browsers on the Mac display bookmarks through a bookmark bar located at the top of the window. There is no IE like side bookmarks view on any of the browsers available for Mac that I am aware of. However, once you get comfortable with the bookmarks bar, and you set up a folder hierarchy, you should be plenty comfortable with accessing your links from here.

4 - Again, depends on the browser. There is usually a back button on the top right to access the previous page. You can also press the delete key or use a four-finger multi gesture swipe to the left. To go forward you can hit the forward icon on the top right, press Shift+delete, or use a four-finger multi gesture swipe to the right.

If you are looking to add a home page button to your browser you can also do that. Chrome has an option to do this in their general settings - it's called 'Show Home Button'. Safari also has an option to do this under the 'Toolbar Customization' dialog. (access from View->Customize Toolbar...) You can add the home button to your browser toolbar right from here.

Let me know if these were helpful and if you have any other questions.

3. Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Thats brilliant, thanks for the help:). I really ought to get myself booked onto an Apple workshop and start learning straight away.

Im really missing the right click > copy/paste facility found on pc's, but I guess theres a really easy way to do that also?

Cheers:)

4. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

You're welcome.

The delete key (at-least on my keyboard) is the key one down from the top right key. It should be labeled with the word 'delete' on it but maybe they changed it on the new laptops...

----------

Yes, to replicate having a right click go to System Preferences (either located in your dock on the bottom, or you can search it in Spotlight which is the arrow glass on the very top right of the screen). Once you open System Preferences go to: Trackpad->Point & Click-> turn on Secondary Click and see if you like that option. You can also right click by holding down the control key and clicking.

5. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

You can customize Safari in order to get your Home button. Just right-click Safari's titlebar and select 'customize toolbar'. The screen below pops up. Drag and drop functions to your toolbar at will. Home included.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

6. Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

I dont have a key that says 'delete' on my keyboard. I guess its there, but disguised as something else:D

I'll have a play with the settings regarding 'right click'.

Thanks again:)

----------

Thankyou:)