Basic bootcamp question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Joshlll, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Joshlll macrumors newbie

Joshlll

:confused:

Ok so I just would like to know if I can use my Windows 7 disk as is in bootcamp. :confused:
    I would like to get everything set up so, I can use my external cd/dvd usb player to read my windows 7 disk at some point in bootcamp to install the os.

I honestly don't know about iso, or burning it to a disk I just wanna use my windows 7 disk as is.

Will I be ok using my external HDD to install all my updates/drivers in windows from mac, I'm worried mac might try to reformat my HDD its mac/pc compatible.
    Or do I really need to buy a sdxc or usb stick for this process?

2. BGBUXA macrumors member

So are you using bootcamp and installing Windows from the disk? There are external HD drives out there that work with both Windows and OSX, without reformatting.

3. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

If you are talking about your Windows 7 DVD, then yes you can use it to install it in Boot Camp.

As far as your external, as long as it's currently formatted FAT32, then it will be fine to use under both OS's. If it's NTFS, then Mac OS will be able to read it but can't write to it. If its HFS+ then Windows won't see it at all.

4. Joshlll thread starter macrumors newbie

Joshlll

Thank you guys! For whatever reason bootcamp was a pain for me you both told me exactly what I needed to know. Most of the guides I read did not quite address some questions I had.

On a side note Newegg is giving people $12 off on Guild wars 2 Orders and YAY I got $110 off my retina macbook pro from best buy if anyone is in the market for either of those items random ass sales ftw:cool:!