Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Not Available

Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Well... I'm still looking for an IDE to satisfy my needs. What I need is a basic IDE. That is, I don't need any Project sh*t or advanced features. If any of you have ever used Code::Blocks, that's exactly the kind of IDE I need. I simply want to write code in a simple manner. I'm still learning to program, and I find this f*ing thing annoying. I tried vim, but no, I can't be productive in it. I tried Xcode, but, again, it's project-driven, which I hate. And so do NetBeans and Eclipse. I can't waste time creating projects and unlinking stupid sources. I tried Code::Blocks and CodeLite. Code::Blocks is buggy, and Windows-like. Not to mention their web site is down. CodeLite is very limited. No syntax highlighting, no code indentation, no nothing. It's very annoying. I managed to use Xcode 3 to go through a book, so I think I'll give it another go, and, instead of programming, I'll learn how to use the damn interface. Unless any of you has a better idea...

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
Hi

As far as IDEs go I think Xcode is pretty slim so I would recommend persevering with it. I can imagine you might be getting a bit hacked off if you are trying to use one project for all your work, but really there is no need to - it takes about 2 seconds to create a new project in Xcode.

ß e n

Not Available

Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Just use a text editor and the command line. Problem solved.

Smultron and Text Wrangler are the two that get recommended the most (personally I prefer Smultron).
Well I tried, but that's the problem with vim. If I forget to declare a variable or have to do a small change to my code, I have to save, recompile, and rerun, which takes A LOT of precious time.

I'm downloading Xcode once again, and get to personalize it. At least it's the easiest way to unlink I've seen so far...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I must admit, I don't understand exactly what it is you're looking for. One of the purposes of projects is to group multiple source code files together into one cohesive unit, saving frustration when recompiling (since the IDE knows what's changed and recompiles only what's required to bring the executable up to date), as well as making mass code changes easier (for example, the branding needs to be changed in every source file).

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Well I tried, but that's the problem with vim. If I forget to declare a variable or have to do a small change to my code, I have to save, recompile, and rerun, which takes A LOT of precious time.

You have to do that in Xcode and every other C++ IDE as well.

Just have a terminal window open then type "make" at the command prompt and boom. You're done. Assuming of course you use make files (which you should).

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX

:! make myprog && ./myprog

If compilation fails, it won't try to run the program. If it succeeds it will run your program. If it fails, you can see the compiler output, and as soon as you hit enter you're back in the code. Saving is 3 keystrokes that should take less than a second. You could also use a separate window as cromulent suggested, but it seems pretty quick to me. I guess i am strongly biased because it's pretty much the only editor i use (unless writing Java, which I need eclipse for, the libraries are too big to memorize so i need code completion... and when i write toy objective-c programs I use XCode, but that's hobby only, not for work).

-Lee

EDIT: Also, the next time you need to compile/run, you just need to type :! and the up arrow, and you should get the last command.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007

I'm downloading Xcode once again, and get to personalize it. At least it's the easiest way to unlink I've seen so far...

You have to do that no matter what text editor or ide you use. You can use tabs. One tab is always in vim and the other is always on the command line. Use shortcuts to switch tabs. If you get a compiler error, it's only a few keystrokes to fix it. Actually, one of the things that draws people to vi is the fact that you can exit and start it back up so quickly. You can also use ":!" to do something on the command line (e.g. ":!make" to compile without switching tabs or quitting vim). Once you get used to it, you will be able to do this faster than it would take for you to move your hand over to the mouse and click a "compile and run" button. Using a mouse = slow.

Still though, I can understand one not liking vim. It takes a long time to really get used to it and be faster using it than a normal text editor.

If you don't like projects, then just use any text editor you like. It doesn't have to be a text-only editor. Scite is a good gui text editor. Keep that window always open and terminal always open. Recompiling is just a couple of clicks and keystrokes.

wlh99

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2008
Well... I'm still looking for an IDE to satisfy my needs. What I need is a basic IDE. That is, I don't need any Project sh*t or advanced features. If any of you have ever used Code::Blocks, that's exactly the kind of IDE I need. I simply want to write code in a simple manner. I'm still learning to program, and I find this f*ing thing annoying. I tried vim, but no, I can't be productive in it. I tried Xcode, but, again, it's project-driven, which I hate. And so do NetBeans and Eclipse. I can't waste time creating projects and unlinking stupid sources. I tried Code::Blocks and CodeLite. Code::Blocks is buggy, and Windows-like. Not to mention their web site is down. CodeLite is very limited. No syntax highlighting, no code indentation, no nothing. It's very annoying. I managed to use Xcode 3 to go through a book, so I think I'll give it another go, and, instead of programming, I'll learn how to use the damn interface. Unless any of you has a better idea...

I sounds like you are resisting learning new things. That is a bad thing if you want to learn to program. If you can't waste time creating a project (well under a minute, only a few seconds if you know what your doing) then you are far too busy a person to learn to program anyway

I think you will find Xcode much easier and faster than you think once you use it alot and are used to it. Especially when you get past hello world stuff and are writing something more usefull.

I doubt it matters much whether you use Xcode or something else, but stick with it long enough to learn it and know how it will help you be more productive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.