Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
I'm taking my friends ipad with me to overseas
. They have an iPad connected using cell tower, but have no wireless internet connection. How I use mine once I get there ? I need to get it connect ed on that day i arrive over there.so i can continue my work with computer ( e mailing, web, Skype, etc ).

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sorry, but your situation is not so clear...

You are borrowing a friend's iPad to take overseas. And you are visiting another friend, who has a cellular iPad but no wifi?

Or, you are visiting a friend overseas who has a cellular iPad, and they will let you borrow it while you are visiting them?

Which is it? And if it's the first case, is the iPad you are taking with you a cellular iPad?

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Yes, my friend here has an extra ipad for me to take with me to overseas. At the destination, they also have an ipad but connected via cellular.

So what do I need to get mine connected?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yes, my friend here has an extra ipad for me to take with me to overseas. At the destination, they also have an ipad but connected via cellular.

So what do I need to get mine connected?

Well, you didn't say if the iPad you are taking with you is wifi only, or if it can connect to cellular. Tell me that first.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
My friends ipad is wifi base. We don't know if it got cellar connection capability.

Last edited:

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
I'm not sure which model...... I'll check it.

Mean time, they have wired internet connection yes. I think... Dial up..... :(

They will need a cable or "optic fiber light" something.... And the router ? I'm not sure of they are willing to change the hard wire connectivity just fir me...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm not sure which model...... I'll check it.

Mean time, they have wired internet connection yes. I think... Dial up..... :(

They will need a cable or "optic fiber light" something.... And the router ? I'm not sure of they are willing to change the hard wire connectivity just fir me...

If there is a way to connect an Ethernet cabe to their Internet setup, then you can buy an Airport Express. Plug it into an Ethernet Internet connection, and you have wifi.

If that's not possibe, then you need a cellular iPad.

There is a possibility that their iPad has tethering capability, but since you and your friends all seem technologically not well versed, I wouldn't recommend trying to figure that out. Too many steps in the process.

Is there an Apple store near you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.