Basic Desk Top Publisher for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Katilea, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Katilea macrumors member

I switched to Mac in August, I have MS office for Mac which I transferred from an old iBook (so it was free!) but unlike the windows version it doesnt contain Publisher.

I was wondering if there is a free or relatively cheap (under or around £50) Desk top publishing program for Mac's as I just want to run off some business cards and flyers for my brothers new business.

The programs all seem to cost hundreds of pounds like InDesign and Quark Xpress and I don't need anything that complicated.

I saw mention in a review that Apple Pages 08 does flyers, newsletters and business cards etc. Does anyone know if you can get Apple Page's on its own or do you have to purchase the whole iWork suite?

Any suggestions?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Katilea thread starter macrumors member

Hi

Mine is Word 2004 and I cant find a template to do business cards although it has some basic templates. I dont know if Word 08 will have them on?

The iBook it was on is 8 years old, I've had it 5 years though I never used the office program until I moved it onto to iMac, as I didnt previously have a printer connected to it.

Is it possible for me to buy an upgrade from office 2004 to office 2008? Where would I buy it from? (I'm in UK)

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can find some business card templates here on the MS site.

Yes, you can upgrade from 2004 to 2008 but use MRoogle to search for threads comparing the two

Many prefer to keep 2004

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Avery have downloadable templates for their business card stock in Word format:
    http://www.avery.com/

A lot of the online business card vendors will also have their own templates.

Word 2008 is big and slow. To upgrade to it would also cost more than £50.

I'm sure you can get Word 2004 to work for you - if not your next best option is to get iWork.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Avery also has downloadable software for Mac that will do most of the work for their templates. Much easier than Word if you are going to print to Avery paper.

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Yes, you can find that here. I spit out some business cards very fast using this software. I also have Office 2008 and OO, but I liked Avery's software the best.

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Just an aside... I've been printing Avery labels this weekend - and I'm finding that the downloadable .doc templates work really nicely in Pages.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Thanks. I have it installed, but I wasn't able to find the link again before I was called away.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Doesn't Pages have business card templates? You can use the iWork trial for 30 days and see how you like it. Then buy it if you want to.

11. Katilea thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Guys.

I didnt know you could just download and add extra templates. I have been looking at variety of review sites to try and decide which was going to be best to buy.

I was thinking of the iWork trial out of curiosity to see if it it had anything better than office 2004. Finances are a little tight though after xmas so I wasnt going to be able to buy it straight away as my phone has broke so I need that more urgently.

I cant believe how much these programs cost just for upgrade! I was gonna get one i had seen on ebay someone is selling a student edition and has used one disc so theres one install left. But I had read report form someone else that Word 2008 was slow and seemed to use a lot of resources on computer.

I think the templates should be fine for what I want,