Basic flash support.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, Mar 18, 2014.

1. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Hello Mac Rumors, as many of you know, flash isn't natively supported on PPC. Quick story. My mom has had an Early 2008 White MacBook since, well, 2008. My dad wanted her to switch to Windows 8. She got a Win8 Tablet, tried it, and hated it. In the meantime, we had given the '08 whitebook to my 7 year old sister, and she uses it to play ONE flash game, ONE! Now, lets say I bought a PowerBook (last edition) is there anyway she can play that flash game on it?
    Thanks!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Install this to the Library>Internet Plugins folder. It's the latest version of Flash for PowerPC with a hack to fool sites into thinking that the plugin is current (which it's not).

Anyway, depending on the performance of the PB your mom should not expect a smooth or fast experience with Flash games.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You may also want to install some kind of click to run extension so that the plug in is only run for what she allows in order to prevent exploitations of it.

4. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Its for my sister and this game is performance light. I could run it on my phone with Puffin over 4g, so yeah.

She will have parental controls all over it. She literally uses the whitebook for two hours only on that game. Since Gavin is selling his PowerBook G4 (last edition) I'm considering buying it.

5. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

And my pipe dream has died! The game won't go past the login screen. It likes it, just won't go past it. :(

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You might try Fluid.

Fluid lets you make apps based on websites. I've got one for Pandora, Google Play, Facebook, iCloud and quite a few more. Fluid is based on Webkit and the beta versions from 0.9.6 down were PowerPC compatible.

Just be sure to give the Fluid app you create a modern user agent. If you do a Google search for User Agents you can copy and paste one in. The presets are a little old.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you do use Fluid, relink it against a more modern Webkit like Webkit for Leopard.

8. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Where did you get that plugin? I'm wondering as Adobe is now on Flash 12, but the other modified plugins are 11.5.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

IDK. Either through a link here or a Google Search. Don't recall when I got it.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

eyoungren's link is still spoofing 11.5. Attempts to spoof 11.6 and any version of 12 have been unsuccessful.

11. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

I tried using Fluid and I have WebKit linked to Safari, but it still doesn't want to load. I wish there was a log of sorts.

12. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that version reporting works differently after 11.5, which is why the spoofing fails, for the component to check against, simply doesn't exist.

TenFourFox 17 supports click-to-play, but you need to enable plugins. TenFourFox versions later than 17.x do not support plugins at all, which makes them rather useless in my eyes. The forced withdrawal from plugin support is a terrible move; done only for people who don't follow any safe browsing practices.

Does anyone have a list of what Flash exploits are genuine vulnerabilities on OSX at present? I thought that most of the evil, malware, runtime code, was dependant on Windows libraries.

If mainstream sites switched to a dual version, with HTML5, it would be nice; but even then, we wouldn't have the correct decryption algorithms to use them, and <10.4 users would be even more stuck.

What the world needs, is a (corporate-supported), open-source alternative to Flash.Something that eBay, Google/YouTune, Netflix, et al., could use in place of Flash, that is available to compile on anything. JAVA RTE is a more flexible platform than Flash, as Sun (or is it Oracle now?) allows source access.

13. Wildy macrumors 6502

I did this a while back, it was from my old blog http://scriptogr.am/nordkril. I'm afraid I'm now using a ThinkPad as my PowerBook can't run any of the engineering software I need. I simply don't have the time to update the plugin with work and study taking up 99.9% of my time, and a personal project taking up the other 0.1%. Take a look at the README - it explains how the modification was performed. However as I have said, I don't believe this method will work any more.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Plugin supported was removed not because of security reasons, but because Mozilla finally removed Carbon plugin support from the code branch and adding it back in was not worth the time.

Here's your list: http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-53/product_id-6761/Adobe-Flash-Player.html

Most of them are execute arbitrary code exploits, but there are quite a large number of others with a score of 10 (the most dangerous) that do affect PowerPC Mac as well. Some of those that will run on PowerPC systems utilize ActionScript's bytecode abilities. Java's list is even worse, mostly because of its dynamic bytecode nature.