Basic Functionality Still missing in video app after 4.2 update

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pesawyer, Nov 24, 2010.

1. pesawyer macrumors member

I purchased an iPad about a month ago and was anxiously awaiting the 4.2 update because there is some basic functionality missing in the "iPod" and "video" apps on the iPad. What I'm referring to is the ability to play a Video Playlist. The "iPod" app recognizes my Music Videos via the ID3 tag info, the Video App recognizes them also. In the iPod app I have a Smart Playlist, the default Smart Playlist, that shows all my music videos. When you click on one music video title the video player app launches, it plays the one music video and stops. If you click on the play button in the iPod app when you have the Music Video Playlist selected it will play the entire playlist, but with Audio only! No Video. From my experience on this device with both the 3.2 software load and the new 4.2 software load you simply can't watch a video playlist. What is up with that? That seems to be some very basic functionality that should be there. :mad:

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Did they fix the issue where a video in the middle of a playlist would stop playing the list after the video plays?

That was really annoying. Works fine on the ipod and iphone but never worked right on the ipad.

Cheers,

3. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Couldn't agree more. It's utterly ridiculous that this function works flawlessly on earlier-generation iPod Touches but is missing altogether on the iPad. Video playlists are 99% of what I use my current (3rd gen) 32 GB iPod Touch for, and since space has been an issue lately, I decided to get an iPad to upgrade both storage capacity and the device itself, assuming I could just get a compatible dock to connect it to my TV and be able to hit "shuffle" on my music video playlists and watch videos during the day while I work. Imagine my surprise when I found that to be impossible. Yes, there's a "workaround," but using it, you can't skip to the next video if you don't want to watch one that comes up in the shuffle. It's asinine that what's a basic enough bit of functionality that has been present for years on previous-gen devices is suddenly deemed unnecessary for iPads. I'm about 80% sure I'm going to end up returning this now (and I REALLY don't want to--it'd be flippin' perfect if only this one thing would work!) because it doesn't do the main thing that I bought it for. ugh.