Basic Guidance loading mini DV into G4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mr.jerffrey, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mr.jerffrey macrumors newbie

I have a Mini DV 1394 (firewire) cable that I plugged from the camera into my G4. It did not create a folder on my desktop, so I figured something was wrong. I tried using a Dazzle bridge, but that didn't work. I don't think I need the bridge anyways, as the camera has the 1394 outlet.

Couple quick questions:

1. Does something need to be configured on Final Cut Pro to help recognize the video? If so, what needs to happen? I opened up Final Cut but I couldn't get the software to recognize the camera being connected. Does Final Cut (or another software) need to be used to get the computer to recognize the connection?

2. Is there a configuration/setting on my G4 that needs to be set to recognize the video camera? If so, where should I go on the computer? Should I go into System Profiler to check for a connection?

Thanks in advance. I haven't tried any video stuff in a long time and I don't remember how to do anything.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Try another Firewire cable or another computer to see if the one that you have is OK. The camcorder needs to be switched to the playback position. Have you got iMovie to try?

3. mr.jerffrey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have Imovie.. so you're saying that a folder/drive should appear when the video recorder is connected?

Do you know of any settings that should be place on the computer or in Imovie that is necessary?

Thanks for the input.

4. -DH macrumors 65816

First, get the Dazzle device out of the system. You don't need it for this task at all. It's used for converting analog video to digital video.

Connect your camcorder directly to your Mac using the appropriate Firewire cable.

Turn on your Mac and the camera. Make sure the camera is set to VTR (play mode) and also set to output via the Firewire port (Firewire ports may also be labeled as: iLink, DV, DV I/O and IEEE 1394).

The camera will NOT show up =(mount) on your desktop. However, your chosen NLE app should "see" the camera and be able to capture from it IF you have the correct capture settings for the type of footage you recorded.

-DH

5. mr.jerffrey thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. thank you. What kind of capture settings do I need? I can use Final Cut or Imovie.

It's just a Panasonic mini DV palmcorder.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No settings. Not with iMovie, anyway. Just click on import.