Basic Help::DVD Ripping

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheArnettie, Oct 26, 2009.

1. TheArnettie macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

New to mac here. I am wanting to do a digital setup for my theatre system. I would like to rip the DVD's that I already own onto my MacBook Pro. I then will use my MBP to display the DVD through HDMI hook up to my LCD screen. What would be the best program to rip the DVD. I am new at this. I understand that their might be encoding that I have to do. I also do not want a program that puts 'Evaluation Copy' over the image. I have downloaded Handbrake but I do not know if that is the best option for me.

Any suggestions?

-The Arnettie-

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MacTheRipper (MTR) for ripping/copying the DVDs content to your MBP.
    MTR is also able to circumvent most copy-protection-schemes the DVDs might have. But be aware, that a typical DVD takes up to 8GB of HDD space.

Therefore Handbrake can encode your ripped DVD to something smaller.
    Have a look at the Apple TV forum or use MRoogle, as this topic has come up several times already, so it should be covered.

3. TheArnettie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I have already downloaded both Mac The Ripper and Handbrake. I think what I am going to do is purchase a 1TB/2TB external and put them on the EHDD.

Thank you again for your reply.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Make sure you have the latest Handbrake snapshot. You should also give Plex a try. A bit of a learning curve, but far superior to any of Apple's Quicktime-based apps. A few glitches in Snow Leopard for Plex, but a fix is right around the corner.