Basic Home Sharing Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kat.hayes, Apr 1, 2012.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I want to share iTunes on 2 Macs and a Pc to my AppleTV, iPhone and iPad.

1.) Am I supposed to enter the same username/password that I use to login to iTunes on each of these devices in order to enable Home Sharing OR do I use some other account?

2.) Do each of these devices count towards the total of 5 devices I can use with Home Sharing?

Thanks.

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes, you would user the same user account that you use for your Apple ID. The iPhones don't count ( at least they don't on my account, but can't say about iPad or AppleTV, as I don't own them), but the other mixture of Mac devices (Pros, MBPs, and iMacs) and PC devices each count for 1 device toward the total of 5 allowed per account. If you have 1 PC, 1 iMac, and i MBP, that would account for 3 devices towards your 5 total.

3. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here is what is confusing me, I have my iTunes account, and now I have to enter it onto a PC that already has a separate iTunes account just so I can have them all on the same network? I just don't get it.

1. Does me entering my iTunes account to enable Home Sharing on the other computers have any effect at all with their existing itunes accounts?

2. Somehow, all of a sudden, my Mac stopped working with Home Sharing because it said it was not authorized to use Home Sharing even though it was. I tried to re-enable Home Sharing, though it said I had already exceeded my 5 computer limitation (which I didn't) and then popped up with some error code. Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks!!!

4. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a