Basic How-To questions for planning a Holiday Trip

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by MareLuce, Oct 24, 2012.

1. MareLuce macrumors 6502

I've planned previous trips using maps.google.com + "My Places" to have fast, easy visual access to nearby sights of interest.

For an upcoming trip, I've created a "Prague" map and a "Berlin" map, and use different color and graphic pushpins to provide clues about the place.

- google maps' bed pushpin = our hotel

- yellow round top pin = a place we want to see that is open during the day
    - green round top pin = a place we want to see that is open during the night

- yellow pushpin graphic = a restaurant open both day and night
    - green pushpin = a restaurant open only at night
    - red pushpin = an interseting bar open late

I copy opening and closing hours and other tips into the notes section of the box that opens up when I click on the pushpin.

This makes enables more spontaniety while on the trip roaming around. It also removes uncertainty and time-wasting during precious vacation minutes. If Plan A doesn't work out, the pushpins tell me a very good Plan B.

Now, I'm stumped about how to do basic things.

iOS 5 Maps is completely unusable for this trip. Ex: It puts my Prague hotel u Zlatne StadnY in the wrong street. It can't find 1 out of every 3 or 4 places I ask it to.

So, I've added a home screen icon to maps.google.com. But it's not working like the iOS 5 google maps did.

Could someone smarter than me who has already figured out workarounds lend me your insight?

1) In iOS 5 Maps (Google Maps) I was able to find directions from one pushpin to the next easily (from A to B).

Now, I have maps.google.com as a home screen icon. I want to just tap on the pushpin and tap on "B" and make A my current location or a different pushpin's location. That doesn't seem to work at all.

How can I get the address from the pushpin listing up into the Directions A, B white boxes without manually copying or typing it in?

2) I used to be able to click on the pushpin I added, and a phone picture would appear for calling them. Now, no telephone picture. AND, the phone # from the google maps official listing doesn't appear. Only the opening / closing notes I manually added into the box.

When we are out roaming, this one is going to be a time consumer, multiple times / day.

3) In the midst of trying different things for 1) and 2) sometimes the google maps satellite view disappears completely and I only see a grid of graph paper with the purple direction line on top - no street names or pictures.

There are many smaller annoyances (ex: no Add to Contacts from google maps anymore.)

I heard complaints about iOS 6 Maps, but I didn't fully appreciate how much it degraded the trip planning experience till now.

2. MareLuce thread starter macrumors 6502

No one?

I'm sure someone has figured out #1

>> 1) In iOS 5 Maps (Google Maps) I was able to find directions from one pushpin to the next easily (from A to B).

Now, I have maps.google.com as a home screen icon. I want to just tap on the pushpin and tap on "B" and make A my current location or a different pushpin's location. That doesn't seem to work at all.

How can I get the address from the pushpin listing up into the Directions A, B white boxes without manually copying or typing it in?