Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

datriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
Ok so I am new to the JB and I purchased a theme today and got iFile. I found a thread about the theme and people are uploading icons they made to dropbox to download. So I go to the dropbox link in safari on my phone & say "Open in iFile" click on Zip Viewer & see the .psd and I hit extract. After that I am lost. I don't know what the next steps are. I found themes under stash/themes but I am just lost clearly. Any help, links, youtube vids etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Ok so I am new to the JB and I purchased a theme today and got iFile. I found a thread about the theme and people are uploading icons they made to dropbox to download. So I go to the dropbox link in safari on my phone & say "Open in iFile" click on Zip Viewer & see the .psd and I hit extract. After that I am lost. I don't know what the next steps are. I found themes under stash/themes but I am just lost clearly. Any help, links, youtube vids etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

The psd is the photoshop file. That is used to create icons.

If you can list what icon you're trying to place, it'll be easier to explain how it needs to be named, and where it needs to go.

One last thing; post a link to what you downloaded so I can take a look at it.

datriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks, the links I've downloaded are

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/829861/APPLE/HIRO/iOS7/mmi/Icons%20PSD.zip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/829861/APPLE/HIRO/iOS7/mmi/Hiro-FoldersIcons-iOS7.zip

The theme I'm using is Hiro iOS7 and my goal is to add new icons people made and they have these nice looking glass ball folder icons that I also tried to install. About the icon folders I accidentally found it in ifile and saved to camera roll and can now see it there however I can't figure out how to make it an actual folder.

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Thanks, the links I've downloaded are

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/829861/APPLE/HIRO/iOS7/mmi/Icons PSD.zip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/829861/APPLE/HIRO/iOS7/mmi/Hiro-FoldersIcons-iOS7.zip

The theme I'm using is Hiro iOS7 and my goal is to add new icons people made and they have these nice looking glass ball folder icons that I also tried to install. About the icon folders I accidentally found it in ifile and saved to camera roll and can now see it there however I can't figure out how to make it an actual folder.

The first file, as I suspected, is just the PSD template for the icons for that theme.

The second file is the folder backgrounds you can use with the tweak FolderIcons; that can be found in Cydia.

Which phone are you using?

datriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
I'm using an iphone 5 and ifile 7.

Here's the users Dropbox that I just found that has more icons http://bit.ly/1gMlM0F

Do you want the link for the thread I'm getting this all from? Idk if that'll help.

datriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
I downloaded alien blue just now and it's the stock icon but in my Dropbox there is a nice icon someone made that id like to replace it with as it's a match for hiro. What would the steps be from getting it from my Dropbox to ifile to show as the icon on my phone. That path is my disconnect. Also thank you for helping me out. I appreciate this more then you know.

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I'm using an iphone 5 and ifile 7.

Here's the users Dropbox that I just found that has more icons http://bit.ly/1gMlM0F

Do you want the link for the thread I'm getting this all from? Idk if that'll help.

Those icons...

You'll basically need to place them in the var/stash/Themes/<ThemeName>/Bundles/<appname>/.....

You'll have to make sure the icon is named properly. The google maps icon, located at the link you provided, would have to be renamed to AppIcon@2x.png and placed in var/stash/Themes/HiroIOS7/Bundles/com.google.Maps/....

*** HiroIOS7 is just an example. I don't have the theme so I can't tell you want the theme folder name is.

datriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
Ok I found the var/stash/Themes/<hiroios7>/Bundles/

And when in there I see all the supported icons. Now what I can't figure out is in my Dropbox there's a folder named "iphone icons" with 20 or so icons. How do I get that folder from my Dropbox into ifile and that specific /bundles folder. I can't figure out the steps and I know it's probably insanely easy.

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Ok I found the var/stash/Themes/<hiroios7>/Bundles/

And when in there I see all the supported icons. Now what I can't figure out is in my Dropbox there's a folder named "iphone icons" with 20 or so icons. How do I get that folder from my Dropbox into ifile and that specific /bundles folder. I can't figure out the steps and I know it's probably insanely easy.

It's never easy when you've never done it before. Trust me. I still have issues every now and again.

I bought the theme so I can see exactly what you're seeing. I hate trying to help someone out and I'm kinda blind going in.

So....

Like I said, you'll need to locate where each icon needs to go. There isn't any easy just drag all those icons over to a single place and then you're done.

Which icons that you linked to are you wanting to use? Which apps out of those icons do you use?

datriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
It's never easy when you've never done it before. Trust me. I still have issues every now and again.

I bought the theme so I can see exactly what you're seeing. I hate trying to help someone out and I'm kinda blind going in.

So....

Like I said, you'll need to locate where each icon needs to go. There isn't any easy just drag all those icons over to a single place and then you're done.

Which icons that you linked to are you wanting to use? Which apps out of those icons do you use?

The 2 that I was trying was pandora and alien blue. I feel bad that you bought it. I'll send you $$ if you want to email or pm me your PayPal to reimburse plus a few extra bucks for your time.

I wish I could copy the file in Dropbox then go paste it in ifile. I know it's not easy but can't be this hard. Everything I've googled or pulled up on YouTube just isn't showing the exact steps.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
The 2 that I was trying was pandora and alien blue. I feel bad that you bought it. I'll send you $$ if you want to email or pm me your PayPal to reimburse plus a few extra bucks for your time.

I wish I could copy the file in Dropbox then go paste it in ifile. I know it's not easy but can't be this hard. Everything I've googled or pulled up on YouTube just isn't showing the exact steps.

Did you pay for an iFile license? If so, tap on the plus arrow in the bottom right. Then choose Dropbox. You might have to link your account first. It'll either ask you at this point or you have to go into settings. Can't remember exactly. But after you tap the plus and open your Dropbox account (you might have to copy those files to your account to do this if you already haven't done this), you can copy and paste between iFile and Dropbox all day. It's one of my favorite iFile features! :D

Edit: Or just install afc2add from cydia (I think you need to change your cydia account to hacker or developer) and reboot the device. Then you can use a tool like iFunBkx on windows and transfer files via the USB cable. That is probably the easiest way to transfer files for someone new to this.

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina

I appreciate the gesture, but I didn't mind dropping a few bucks.

I got it working, finally. I downloaded dropbox for the phone.
I used the drop box link you gave me earlier...

When I selected the link, this is where I went:

In the upper right, press that button to save the files to your dropbox account.

IMG_0013.PNG

Select Hiro IOS7... you'll see the message that it has been saved to your dropbox. Open the DropBox App.

IMG_0014.PNG

Press Hiro iOS 7....

IMG_0015.PNG

Select iPhone Icons

IMG_0016.PNG

Scroll through until you see the icon you want... in this example I chose google maps, you'll see the zoomed in icon.

IMG_0017.PNG

See the box with the up arrow? It's in the lower left corner. Press it.

IMG_0018.PNG

You'll see several options. Choose "Open In..." *** if you don't see it swipe from right to left on the bottom choices ***

IMG_0019.PNG

Let's choose Open in iFile!!

IMG_0020.PNG

You should see it in the list now.

IMG_0021.PNG

Long press the file, and choose Select. You'll see the clipboard in the lower right corner. Select it.

IMG_0022.PNG

Once the file is shown as selected, look at the bottom right corner, you'll se the clipboard. Press it.

IMG_0023.PNG

Choose to Copy/Link or Cut. I used Copy/Link

IMG_0024.PNG

Now we have to navigate to the var/Stash/Theme/Hiro iOS7.theme/Bundles/com.google.Maps

*** for Pandora you'll need to go to var/Stash/Theme/Hiro iOS7.theme/Bundles/com.pandora ***

Long press and choose paste.

IMG_0025.PNG

Now, you have an icon there already. Press the info button. Then long press on the name and choose select all > Copy. Now you can rename by just adding _bak. So the maps icon name will now be AppIcon-120.png_bak.

Let's choose the info bubble on the new icon. Long press the name and choose select all > Paste. Then choose Done.

I know that seems like a tedious process, and it is lol. Someone else might be able to walk you through it a lot better.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
You will also need to respring (you can do that by unchecking and rechecking the theme and tapping respring) for changes to take effect after you've done the steps above

datriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
thats exactly what I needed, you totally connected the dots for me. I was able to navigate my way between ifile & dropbox & get to my destination. My last question is once I am Hiro iOS7/theme/bundles I see the apps but whats it mean if mine isnt listed? There is no Pandora folder there. There are folders for apps that I dont even have ( Angry Birds for exp ) - I've had Pandora on my phone for awhile and just deleted & reinstalled but I dont see it. Did I miss something?

datriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
Looked everywhere and no Pandora folder/file. I do have the paid version of Hiro iOS7 ( saw while searching someone said make sure its not a pirated version )

I just wanted to see what would happen so I went to the app store and dl'ed the 1st app I saw which was "Smash Hit'.

I then went to the bundles folder of my theme & the app I dl'ed isnt listed, no folder, nada ( I even searched the directory & Hierarchy )

Also I dont think it matters but I am on the trial version of iFile but I'l drop the $4 now if anyone thinks it matters since I'm buying it regardless.

To go back a second, I did DL a bunch of themes when I first jb'd my phone then uninstalled, perhaps I did have a copy of hiro and uninstalled before I purchased the original and the old crap is still showing up? Thats just a guess if that can really even be an issue.

datriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
Here are pics..Also does anyone think I should use something like iCleaner? I saw in my search that someone was trying to replace their icons and after using that it worked but when reading the description I wasnt sure...thanks

Again since there was no pandora under bundles I created one...image viewer shows right icon that I moved from dropbox.

sjn6.png

ix7w.png

iyhb.png

9rzc.png

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
thats exactly what I needed, you totally connected the dots for me. I was able to navigate my way between ifile & dropbox & get to my destination. My last question is once I am Hiro iOS7/theme/bundles I see the apps but whats it mean if mine isnt listed? There is no Pandora folder there. There are folders for apps that I dont even have ( Angry Birds for exp ) - I've had Pandora on my phone for awhile and just deleted & reinstalled but I dont see it. Did I miss something?

If your app isn't listed in the theme folder, then that just means no icon changes are going to happen to that app

If there's an app folder for an app you don't have, then nothing will happen

----------

Looked everywhere and no Pandora folder/file. I do have the paid version of Hiro iOS7 ( saw while searching someone said make sure its not a pirated version )

I just wanted to see what would happen so I went to the app store and dl'ed the 1st app I saw which was "Smash Hit'.

I then went to the bundles folder of my theme & the app I dl'ed isnt listed, no folder, nada ( I even searched the directory & Hierarchy )

Also I dont think it matters but I am on the trial version of iFile but I'l drop the $4 now if anyone thinks it matters since I'm buying it regardless.

To go back a second, I did DL a bunch of themes when I first jb'd my phone then uninstalled, perhaps I did have a copy of hiro and uninstalled before I purchased the original and the old crap is still showing up? Thats just a guess if that can really even be an issue.

The bundles folder don't generate when you install an app. They are made by the developer of the theme. If there's o folder for the app, then that means the developer has not made a new icon for that app

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly though

datriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
If your app isn't listed in the theme folder, then that just means no icon changes are going to happen to that app

If there's an app folder for an app you don't have, then nothing will happen

----------

The bundles folder don't generate when you install an app. They are made by the developer of the theme. If there's o folder for the app, then that means the developer has not made a new icon for that app

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly though

Ok so since Dev never did anything for Pandora means I wouldnt find one under bundles therefore I have to go to the actual Pandora folder in iFile ( found by using appinfo ) I take the icon that I want to use as a replacement & copy it but where do I paste it to replace the stock icon? There are a ton of icons so how do I know which is the 1 thats currently being used?

gdwe.png

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Ok so since Dev never did anything for Pandora means I wouldnt find one under bundles therefore I have to go to the actual Pandora folder in iFile ( found by using appinfo ) I take the icon that I want to use as a replacement & copy it but where do I paste it to replace the stock icon? There are a ton of icons so how do I know which is the 1 thats currently being used?

if you want to apply the icon via winterboard:

1. open appinfo
2. browse to the pandora app
3. remember the Id (write it down on a piece of paper or something)
4. open iFIle
5. browse to /var/mobile/stash/themes/<theme name>/bundles/
6. make a new folder with the id name (for example, youtube would be "com.google.ios.youtube")
7. paste the replacement icon you want to use inside that folder you just made
8. open winterboard, uncheck and recheck the theme and then tap respring and it should change the app icon

datriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
if you want to apply the icon via winterboard:

1. open appinfo
2. browse to the pandora app
3. remember the Id (write it down on a piece of paper or something)
4. open iFIle
5. browse to /var/mobile/stash/themes/<theme name>/bundles/
6. make a new folder with the id name (for example, youtube would be "com.google.ios.youtube")
7. paste the replacement icon you want to use inside that folder you just made
8. open winterboard, uncheck and recheck the theme and then tap respring and it should change the app icon

Did those same exact steps & same stock pandora icon. Any other guesses of something I possibly did wrong? Steps that I follow are straight forward...cant see how it doesnt take.

5en8.jpg

b50u.png

yt6i.png

rc1r.png

datriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
wow it worked!! I almost gave up...glad you guys stuck around & kept helping me out. So is that the general icon setting I should use for changing others?

I just did it for the alien blue app using same parameters and it worked. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.